Re: [Marbling] Survey

  • Martha Johnson
    Message 1 of 16 , May 14 8:39 AM
      Hi-
      I'm a full time marbler, papermaker, and photographer, with a bit of
      print and web design on the side. I've mostly marbled fabric using
      Liquitex and Jacquard paints on MC. When I read an earlier answer to
      the survey by another Martha I thought for a moment I'd answered and
      then forgotten! Very similar stories as I've taken over nearly half
      of our house for studio space! I'm just lucky my husband is a car nut
      so as long as I don't take over any space in the garage he doesn't
      mind. ;-)

      My basement is my marbling studio with a 4'x8' tank and also my
      papermaking studio where I work mainly with recycled office paper and
      plant fibers. One bedroom is a darkroom for color and black and white
      photography, and another is what I call a production studio where I
      bind books, make cards, package items to be sent, etc. Most of my
      income this year has come from marbling t-shirts, doing about 50 a
      week with some sales in cards, books, and photography. Currently I'm
      working on marbling bandanas and socks. I'm hoping to be able to go
      to the gathering as I'm totally self-taught and would love to see how
      others work with this fantastic, frustrating, and fulfilling medium!
      I also have learned a lot from this list and would enjoy meeting all
      you folks at the gathering.
      Martha

      On 5/9/2002 at 2:58 PM +0000, on the subject of [Marbling] Survey,
      mpmh60201's digits tickled the keyboard thusly:
      >I am taking a survey as to how many marblers currently reading and
      >using this group forum are professionals (full time), or hobbiests
      >(part time).
      >If a professional marbler: is your income derived solely from creating
      >marbled papers or other venues such as fabric, etc? All: How many
      >hours per week do you marble? In a studio geared for marbling? In a
      >room in your home set up for marbling when needed, such as kitchen,
      >etc? Do you teach classes or workshops? If yes: Privately or through
      >an educational institution? How often per year? Have you attended
      >marbling seminars or international gatherings? How many? Please
      >respond within the month of May, 2002, with pertinent info. No long
      >dissertations! Thank you so much for sharing.

      Martha Johnson,
      Mid-Life Crisis, Ltd.
      Photography / Handmade paper / Print & Web Design / British cars /
      http://www.mlcltd.com
    • James M Mahoney
      Message 2 of 16 , May 14 9:19 AM
        I am a professional artist, in important portion of which is marbling
        since I use it in my artwork.
        My income is derived from my art. Since I am a multimedia artist, this
        includes marbling, both paper and other fibers. The portion of time
        spent marbling depends on my "stock" of papers (meaning I probably will
        marble because I want that specific color or design/shape for this
        specific piece of art I'm working on - and you rarely have just exactly
        what you need, do you!)
        I have a studio at my home, where I can work day and/or night.
        I teach some workshops, but usually no more than 3 or 4 per year, as I
        prefer to spend my time on my art.
        When I teach or demonstrate, it is through established arts organizations
        or institutions.
        I have not attended an international gathering, but I will be at
        Arrowmont in September.

        Monita Mahoney

        On Thu, 09 May 2002 14:58:08 -0000 "mpmh60201" <milena@...>
        writes:
        > I am taking a survey as to how many marblers currently reading and
        > using this group forum are professionals (full time), or hobbiests
        > (part time).
        > If a professional marbler: is your income derived solely from
        > creating
        > marbled papers or other venues such as fabric, etc? All: How many
        > hours per week do you marble? In a studio geared for marbling? In
        > room in your home set up for marbling when needed, such as kitchen,
        >
        > etc? Do you teach classes or workshops? If yes: Privately or
        > through
        > an educational institution? How often per year? Have you attended
        > marbling seminars or international gatherings? How many? Please
        > respond within the month of May, 2002, with pertinent info. No long
        >
        > dissertations! Thank you so much for sharing.

      • Gail MacKenzie
        Message 3 of 16 , May 16 10:05 AM
          Hello,

          I enjoy reading this group forum, and often have something I¹d like to ad,
          but don¹t take the extra time. I hope that the same questions will be
          brought up at Arrowmont this Fall.

          I work full time AND over time. If I added up the hours for traveling and
          doing shows, I think I would drop dead!!

          All of my income is derived from marbling: accessories and interiors.

          I have a 750 square foot studio dedicated to marbling messes.

          I have attended 2 conventions and am really looking forward to the next one!

          Regards!! Gail

        • hamburgerbuntpapier_de
          Message 4 of 16 , Sep 15, 2004
            Just completed the survey. Goodness - I only hope I understood every time what they
            wanted.

            Susanne Krause