Suminagashi and Japanese swords

  • del&maryStubbs
    Message 1 of 1 , May 14, 2002
      There is a fellow I know through our blacksmith's organization who has
      done an amazing job of learning the difficult and complex art of
      layering metal in forged blades, that origionated with the old master
      blade smiths of Japan. Sometimes the layers are several hundred to the
      inch , with exquisite swirling patterns not unlike fine suminagashi.
      Years ago he was having cards printed up, so I did a sheet of the
      tightest patterned sumingashi I could. His card designer did an
      effective job of picking a part of the sheet that would allow room for
      the information - swirled around by the pattern.
      If any of you see a book on damascus steel (the genereic name for
      layered steel).....take a look, you'll be delighted at the wonderful
      correlation between two very disparite crafts, but from the same
      cultural source. Del