Re: My introduction

  • J Dolphin
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 25, 2000
      Okay--first off you gotta tell us How and What way you were doing the
      marbling-Then--I am sure there will plenty here who can advise you on
      methods that will bring better results--Go for it!!!!!!
      But I sure have had my days when I have marbled and it has ALL gone
      wrong--so share your story and methods--maybe we all can help.
      Thanks
      Jill

      >From: GB Davis <artdept@...>
      >
      >Greetings!
      >
      >My experience with marbling has been bittersweet. I am a teaching
      >bookartist. I teach a variety of classes re: papermaking and bookarts.
      >I would LOVE to add marbling to my class list, but is hasn't happened.
      >
      >It's not because I haven't tried, or invested in good materials , or
      >spent enough time playing. I'm not sure where my failures lie. At the
      >request of some of my school aged students, I experimented, read about
      >and spent a great deal of time (and money) and pulled one poor sheet.
      >
      >I'd really like to pick someone's brain on how to find some success to
      >build upon.
      >
      >I buy and use a lot of marbled papers...It would really mean a lot if
      >these were MY papers.
      >
      >Thanks,
      >
      >Geoff
    • Peter Baumgartner
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 26, 2000
        Hi all,
        I am a bookbinder from the South of Germany. During my studies in a
        bindery 1978-1981 I became interested in marbling. My bookbinder-chief,
        an old experienced crafts-man, had some books about marbling, edited
        from the beginning to the forties of the last(!) century. In the late
        seventies there didn't exist actual literature about marbling and so I
        tried to marble with the instructions of this old books. First I went to
        the slaughter-house, where a animal-doctor opened the belly of an ox,
        took out the gall and filled some yellow-green liquid in a
        coca-cola-bottle - this was my first contact with oxgall (and I am a
        vegetarian since this day).
        I am very happy to be a member on this list, because I think it is
        important to have contact with other marblers.
        You can find an intoduction to marbling on my website
        and a "reprint" of a book from the fourties about marbling.

        Please excuse my bad english,

        Peter
        --------------------------
        Peter Baumgartner
        www.papierdesign.de
      • GB Davis
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 26, 2000
          Thanks Jill-

          Some more information re: my experiences-

          Paint-Liquitex Acrylics with Marble Ease

          Mordant- Alum

          Paper - White construction paper

          Size- Methocel

          Problems-

          1) Paint sinking in the size. I experimented in cups. When the paint
          would float on the size in the cup I would then try it in the tray.

          2) Disperal. When I did get the paint to float, it would dispesre into
          a thin translucent film.

          3) Pulling sheets. I had problems laying the sheets on the tray. This
          is a skill problem and just needs practice. When I did pull the sheets
          the paints had mixed and becom muddy. When rinsed nothing much "stuck".

          4) Paper. I used construction paper. Construction paper is cheap (duh)
          and now totes an acid free label. I suspect that it is buffered an the
          alum doesn't do its job.

          I suspect that if I worked with an experienced person for a day or two,
          I could solve some of my problems.

          Let me know your thoughts. I know that there is a lot of room for
          improvement!

          Geoff

          > From: "J Dolphin" <jdolphin@...>
          >
          > Okay--first off you gotta tell us How and What way you were doing the
          > marbling-Then--I am sure there will plenty here who can advise you on
          > methods that will bring better results--Go for it!!!!!!
          > But I sure have had my days when I have marbled and it has ALL gone
          > wrong--so share your story and methods--maybe we all can help.
          > Thanks
          > Jill

          Geoffrey Davis
          The Art Department Studio Camps and Workshops
          The Art Department Graphic Services
          Noblesville, IN

          http://www.ameritech.net/users/artdept/artdept.html
        • J Dolphin
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 26, 2000
            Welcome Peter!
            Please feel free to put the url of your site in the links section of the
            marbling list page.
            Certainly you have a 'lively' introduction to this process--and I can't
            say as I would blame you for becoming a vegetarian!!!!!!
            As you are posting to this list From Germany---may I ask--what are your
            perceptions of the popularity of marbling over there?
            Where I am--here in Ottawa Ontario Canada--I've not met any other
            marblers--or at least--ones who do as much of it as I do. I Know there are
            others here in my region who do some--but we're few and far between.
            Thanks
            Jill

            >From: baumgartner.papierdesign@... (Peter Baumgartner)
            >
            >Hi all,
            >I am a bookbinder from the South of Germany. During my studies in a
            >bindery 1978-1981 I became interested in marbling. My bookbinder-chief,
            >an old experienced crafts-man, had some books about marbling, edited
            >from the beginning to the forties of the last(!) century. In the late
            >seventies there didn't exist actual literature about marbling and so I
            >tried to marble with the instructions of this old books. First I went to
            >the slaughter-house, where a animal-doctor opened the belly of an ox,
            >took out the gall and filled some yellow-green liquid in a
            >coca-cola-bottle - this was my first contact with oxgall (and I am a
            >vegetarian since this day).
            >I am very happy to be a member on this list, because I think it is
            >important to have contact with other marblers.
            >You can find an intoduction to marbling on my website
            >and a "reprint" of a book from the fourties about marbling.
            >
            >Please excuse my bad english,
            >
            >Peter
            >--------------------------
            >Peter Baumgartner
            >www.papierdesign.de
          • GB Davis
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 26, 2000
              Iris-

              Thnak you for the support and suggestions. I'll pull everything out and
              try again soon.

              I have Photo-Flo in stock. Black and white photography is one of our
              regular workshops.

              Thanks,

              Geoff

              IrisNevins wrote:

              > From: IrisNevins <IrisNevins@...>
              >
              > For acrylics, instead of Marble -ease, try Photo-Flo from a camera shop. I
              > use one dropperful into a cup of water, then use that by the drop in the
              > paints until they spread right in relation to each other. Also, sounds like
              > the acrylics are being used too thick.....try thinning with water and see
              > what happens.
              >
              > IrisN.

              > Free shipping through 1/31/2000 at Visualize.com
              > where you'll find limited edition prints & photographs
              > for your home, office, collection or gift-giving needs.

              > Shortcut URL to this page:

              Geoffrey Davis
              The Art Department Studio Camps and Workshops
              The Art Department Graphic Services
              Noblesville, IN

              http://www.ameritech.net/users/artdept/artdept.html
            • IrisNevins
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 26, 2000
                Geoff......EVERYONE has poor beginning marbling experiences! You should see
                my first efforts! I still have them and occassionally show them to students
                for a real laugh! If you stick with it, it will likely start to work one
                day when you least expect it!

                IrisNevins
              • IrisNevins