Re: [Marbling] Survey

  • carylhanc@aol.com
    Message 1 of 16 , May 10, 2002
      Hi!
      I am a hobbiest/novice, who has taught a little. Just 1/2 to 1 day classes
      to introduce the techniques. I have taught at both quilt shops and at a
      community ed center.
      I spend an average of 5 hours a week in the laundry room marbling. I have
      just moved into my husbands abandoned (!) darkroom, and have his 4 x 6 foot
      sink for use, but am not sure that its height will work for marbling.
      I have sold marbled sox and scarves at home shows and the co-op I belong to.
      Caryl Hancock
    • Franklyn Smith
      Message 2 of 16 , May 11, 2002
        Hi,

        My first answer is a protest about your definition of professional as
        full time and hobbyist as part time. I really object to the term
        hobbyist. Profession is a term that relates to the level of the work.
        Some of the most important bookbinders in the world work at the bench
        part time: teach, write or work at institutional administrative jobs
        etc. the rest of the time) Does this make them hobbyists? This is not an
        unimportant distinction and has caused many problems over the years. It
        also makes me furious since it is an issue I have been fighting for
        twenty years with granting agencies etc.

        I have a studio geared for marbling in my basement, work at marbling
        sporadically as time allows (I am also the Managing Director (unpaid)
        for the Canadian Bookbinders and Book Artists Guild, and part time
        restorer/conservator). I usually do 6 or more marbling periods of two
        weeks per year but this certainly varies. I teach (but, again and for
        many reasons, much less frequently than I used to) in my studio and for
        CBBAG, for heritage sites, museums and galleries, etc. I attended the
        San Francisco Gathering.

        Shelagh Smith

        Message 3 of 16 , May 11, 2002
          Dear Joan Ajala
          Suimonga and Majirozome are the new type of Suminagashi. Suimonga uses
          surface tension effect both spread direction and consentration direction on
          the surface of water.
          Suimonga and Majirozome uses tap water( no carageen moss needed)
          Majirozome uses dye powder to get fine pattern.
          Very small amount of dye powder directly placed on the surface of water. But
          to get fine pattern on the surface of water , characteristics of dye powder
          should be carefully observed. Please see other communications on Majirozome
          for your reference. Thank you for your question.
          Takaji KURODA wrote.
          Message 4 of 16 , May 14, 2002
            Hi-
            I'm a full time marbler, papermaker, and photographer, with a bit of
            print and web design on the side. I've mostly marbled fabric using
            Liquitex and Jacquard paints on MC. When I read an earlier answer to
            the survey by another Martha I thought for a moment I'd answered and
            then forgotten! Very similar stories as I've taken over nearly half
            of our house for studio space! I'm just lucky my husband is a car nut
            so as long as I don't take over any space in the garage he doesn't
            mind. ;-)

            My basement is my marbling studio with a 4'x8' tank and also my
            papermaking studio where I work mainly with recycled office paper and
            plant fibers. One bedroom is a darkroom for color and black and white
            photography, and another is what I call a production studio where I
            bind books, make cards, package items to be sent, etc. Most of my
            income this year has come from marbling t-shirts, doing about 50 a
            week with some sales in cards, books, and photography. Currently I'm
            working on marbling bandanas and socks. I'm hoping to be able to go
            to the gathering as I'm totally self-taught and would love to see how
            others work with this fantastic, frustrating, and fulfilling medium!
            I also have learned a lot from this list and would enjoy meeting all
            you folks at the gathering.
            Martha

            On 5/9/2002 at 2:58 PM +0000, on the subject of [Marbling] Survey,
            mpmh60201's digits tickled the keyboard thusly:
            >I am taking a survey as to how many marblers currently reading and
            >using this group forum are professionals (full time), or hobbiests
            >(part time).
            >If a professional marbler: is your income derived solely from creating
            >marbled papers or other venues such as fabric, etc? All: How many
            >hours per week do you marble? In a studio geared for marbling? In a
            >room in your home set up for marbling when needed, such as kitchen,
            >etc? Do you teach classes or workshops? If yes: Privately or through
            >an educational institution? How often per year? Have you attended
            >marbling seminars or international gatherings? How many? Please
            >respond within the month of May, 2002, with pertinent info. No long
            >dissertations! Thank you so much for sharing.

            Martha Johnson,
            Mid-Life Crisis, Ltd.
            Photography / Handmade paper / Print & Web Design / British cars /
            http://www.mlcltd.com
          • James M Mahoney
            Message 5 of 16 , May 14, 2002
              I am a professional artist, in important portion of which is marbling
              since I use it in my artwork.
              My income is derived from my art. Since I am a multimedia artist, this
              includes marbling, both paper and other fibers. The portion of time
              spent marbling depends on my "stock" of papers (meaning I probably will
              marble because I want that specific color or design/shape for this
              specific piece of art I'm working on - and you rarely have just exactly
              what you need, do you!)
              I have a studio at my home, where I can work day and/or night.
              I teach some workshops, but usually no more than 3 or 4 per year, as I
              prefer to spend my time on my art.
              When I teach or demonstrate, it is through established arts organizations
              or institutions.
              I have not attended an international gathering, but I will be at
              Arrowmont in September.

              Monita Mahoney

              On Thu, 09 May 2002 14:58:08 -0000 "mpmh60201" <milena@...>
              writes:
              > I am taking a survey as to how many marblers currently reading and
              > using this group forum are professionals (full time), or hobbiests
              > (part time).
              > If a professional marbler: is your income derived solely from
              > creating
              > marbled papers or other venues such as fabric, etc? All: How many
              > hours per week do you marble? In a studio geared for marbling? In
              > room in your home set up for marbling when needed, such as kitchen,
              >
              > etc? Do you teach classes or workshops? If yes: Privately or
              > through
              > an educational institution? How often per year? Have you attended
              > marbling seminars or international gatherings? How many? Please
              > respond within the month of May, 2002, with pertinent info. No long
              >
              > dissertations! Thank you so much for sharing.

            • Gail MacKenzie
              Message 6 of 16 , May 16, 2002
                Hello,

                I enjoy reading this group forum, and often have something I¹d like to ad,
                but don¹t take the extra time. I hope that the same questions will be
                brought up at Arrowmont this Fall.

                I work full time AND over time. If I added up the hours for traveling and
                doing shows, I think I would drop dead!!

                All of my income is derived from marbling: accessories and interiors.

                I have a 750 square foot studio dedicated to marbling messes.

                I have attended 2 conventions and am really looking forward to the next one!

                Regards!! Gail

              • hamburgerbuntpapier_de
                Message 7 of 16 , Sep 15, 2004
                  Just completed the survey. Goodness - I only hope I understood every time what they
                  wanted.

                  Susanne Krause