Re: Survey

  • sixshort
    Message 1 of 16 , May 10, 2002
      Hi there, good to hear of someone on the list who specializes in
      suminagashi. Could you please tell us what is involved in Suimonga
      and Majirozome? I have not come across these terms before. Also, for
      Suminagashi marbling, could you please tell me which paints or inks
      should be used to achieve bright colours? I have been using only
      Sakura marbling inks, very good but limited in colour. Also,I have
      been trying to achieve voids for calligraphy but have not had much
      success. Masking does not give me good results for calligraphy with
      this style of marbling. Do you have any ideas or secrets about
      calligraphic voids which you are willing to share with the group? I
      understand that you may not be able to do this, and that is o.k. Best
      regards, Joan Ajala
    • carylhanc@aol.com
      Message 2 of 16 , May 10, 2002
        Hi!
        I am a hobbiest/novice, who has taught a little. Just 1/2 to 1 day classes
        to introduce the techniques. I have taught at both quilt shops and at a
        community ed center.
        I spend an average of 5 hours a week in the laundry room marbling. I have
        just moved into my husbands abandoned (!) darkroom, and have his 4 x 6 foot
        sink for use, but am not sure that its height will work for marbling.
        I have sold marbled sox and scarves at home shows and the co-op I belong to.
        Caryl Hancock
      • Franklyn Smith
        Message 3 of 16 , May 11, 2002
          Hi,

          My first answer is a protest about your definition of professional as
          full time and hobbyist as part time. I really object to the term
          hobbyist. Profession is a term that relates to the level of the work.
          Some of the most important bookbinders in the world work at the bench
          part time: teach, write or work at institutional administrative jobs
          etc. the rest of the time) Does this make them hobbyists? This is not an
          unimportant distinction and has caused many problems over the years. It
          also makes me furious since it is an issue I have been fighting for
          twenty years with granting agencies etc.

          I have a studio geared for marbling in my basement, work at marbling
          sporadically as time allows (I am also the Managing Director (unpaid)
          for the Canadian Bookbinders and Book Artists Guild, and part time
          restorer/conservator). I usually do 6 or more marbling periods of two
          weeks per year but this certainly varies. I teach (but, again and for
          many reasons, much less frequently than I used to) in my studio and for
          CBBAG, for heritage sites, museums and galleries, etc. I attended the
          San Francisco Gathering.

          Shelagh Smith

          Message 4 of 16 , May 11, 2002
            Dear Joan Ajala
            Suimonga and Majirozome are the new type of Suminagashi. Suimonga uses
            surface tension effect both spread direction and consentration direction on
            the surface of water.
            Suimonga and Majirozome uses tap water( no carageen moss needed)
            Majirozome uses dye powder to get fine pattern.
            Very small amount of dye powder directly placed on the surface of water. But
            to get fine pattern on the surface of water , characteristics of dye powder
            should be carefully observed. Please see other communications on Majirozome
            for your reference. Thank you for your question.
            Takaji KURODA wrote.
            > Hi there, good to hear of someone on the list who specializes in
            > suminagashi. Could you please tell us what is involved in Suimonga
            > and Majirozome? I have not come across these terms before. Also, for
            > Suminagashi marbling, could you please tell me which paints or inks
            > should be used to achieve bright colours? I have been using only
            > Sakura marbling inks, very good but limited in colour. Also,I have
            > been trying to achieve voids for calligraphy but have not had much
            > success. Masking does not give me good results for calligraphy with
            > this style of marbling. Do you have any ideas or secrets about
            > calligraphic voids which you are willing to share with the group? I
            > understand that you may not be able to do this, and that is o.k. Best
            > regards, Joan Ajala

          • Martha Johnson
            Message 5 of 16 , May 14, 2002
              Hi-
              I'm a full time marbler, papermaker, and photographer, with a bit of
              print and web design on the side. I've mostly marbled fabric using
              Liquitex and Jacquard paints on MC. When I read an earlier answer to
              the survey by another Martha I thought for a moment I'd answered and
              then forgotten! Very similar stories as I've taken over nearly half
              of our house for studio space! I'm just lucky my husband is a car nut
              so as long as I don't take over any space in the garage he doesn't
              mind. ;-)

              My basement is my marbling studio with a 4'x8' tank and also my
              papermaking studio where I work mainly with recycled office paper and
              plant fibers. One bedroom is a darkroom for color and black and white
              photography, and another is what I call a production studio where I
              bind books, make cards, package items to be sent, etc. Most of my
              income this year has come from marbling t-shirts, doing about 50 a
              week with some sales in cards, books, and photography. Currently I'm
              working on marbling bandanas and socks. I'm hoping to be able to go
              to the gathering as I'm totally self-taught and would love to see how
              others work with this fantastic, frustrating, and fulfilling medium!
              I also have learned a lot from this list and would enjoy meeting all
              you folks at the gathering.
              Martha

              On 5/9/2002 at 2:58 PM +0000, on the subject of [Marbling] Survey,
              mpmh60201's digits tickled the keyboard thusly:
              >I am taking a survey as to how many marblers currently reading and
              >using this group forum are professionals (full time), or hobbiests
              >(part time).
              >If a professional marbler: is your income derived solely from creating
              >marbled papers or other venues such as fabric, etc? All: How many
              >hours per week do you marble? In a studio geared for marbling? In a
              >room in your home set up for marbling when needed, such as kitchen,
              >etc? Do you teach classes or workshops? If yes: Privately or through
              >an educational institution? How often per year? Have you attended
              >marbling seminars or international gatherings? How many? Please
              >respond within the month of May, 2002, with pertinent info. No long
              >dissertations! Thank you so much for sharing.

              Martha Johnson,
              Mid-Life Crisis, Ltd.
              Photography / Handmade paper / Print & Web Design / British cars /
              http://www.mlcltd.com
            • James M Mahoney
              Message 6 of 16 , May 14, 2002
                I am a professional artist, in important portion of which is marbling
                since I use it in my artwork.
                My income is derived from my art. Since I am a multimedia artist, this
                includes marbling, both paper and other fibers. The portion of time
                spent marbling depends on my "stock" of papers (meaning I probably will
                marble because I want that specific color or design/shape for this
                specific piece of art I'm working on - and you rarely have just exactly
                what you need, do you!)
                I have a studio at my home, where I can work day and/or night.
                I teach some workshops, but usually no more than 3 or 4 per year, as I
                prefer to spend my time on my art.
                When I teach or demonstrate, it is through established arts organizations
                or institutions.
                I have not attended an international gathering, but I will be at
                Arrowmont in September.

                Monita Mahoney

                On Thu, 09 May 2002 14:58:08 -0000 "mpmh60201" <milena@...>
                writes:
                > I am taking a survey as to how many marblers currently reading and
                > using this group forum are professionals (full time), or hobbiests
                > (part time).
                > If a professional marbler: is your income derived solely from
                > creating
                > marbled papers or other venues such as fabric, etc? All: How many
                > hours per week do you marble? In a studio geared for marbling? In
                > room in your home set up for marbling when needed, such as kitchen,
                >
                > etc? Do you teach classes or workshops? If yes: Privately or
                > through
                > an educational institution? How often per year? Have you attended
                > marbling seminars or international gatherings? How many? Please
                > respond within the month of May, 2002, with pertinent info. No long
                >
                > dissertations! Thank you so much for sharing.

              • Gail MacKenzie
                Message 7 of 16 , May 16, 2002
                  Hello,

                  I enjoy reading this group forum, and often have something I¹d like to ad,
                  but don¹t take the extra time. I hope that the same questions will be
                  brought up at Arrowmont this Fall.

                  I work full time AND over time. If I added up the hours for traveling and
                  doing shows, I think I would drop dead!!

                  All of my income is derived from marbling: accessories and interiors.

                  I have a 750 square foot studio dedicated to marbling messes.

                  I have attended 2 conventions and am really looking forward to the next one!

                  Regards!! Gail

                • hamburgerbuntpapier_de
                  Message 8 of 16 , Sep 15, 2004
                    Just completed the survey. Goodness - I only hope I understood every time what they
                    wanted.

                    Susanne Krause