Re: [Marbling] Survey

  • tkuroda
    Message 1 of 16 , May 9, 2002
      1) I am a hobbyist marbler for Suminagashi ,Suimonga and Majirozome. 2) I
      am marbling about 10 hours per week 3) I am marbling in my private room
      with specialy designed big bath. 115Wx75Dx13H cm 3) I am demonstrating
      marbling two times per year in occasion of town festivals. 4) Attending art
      exhibition with my marbled paper 4 times per year on average. Paper size is
      64x94 cm.
      Message 2 of 16 , May 9, 2002
        Re-transmission
        1) I am a hobbyist marbler for Suminagashi ,Suimonga and Majirozome. 2) I
        am marbling about 10 hours per week 3) I am marbling in my private room
        with specialy designed big bath. 115Wx75Dx13H cm 3) I am demonstrating
        marbling two times per year in occasion of town festivals. 4) Attending art
        exhibition with my marbled paper 4 times per year on average. Paper size is
        64x94 cm.

          Takaji KURODA
        tkuroda@...
        Tokyo, JAPAN
        > I am taking a survey as to how many marblers currently reading and
        > using this group forum are professionals (full time), or hobbiests
        > (part time).
        > If a professional marbler: is your income derived solely from creating
        > marbled papers or other venues such as fabric, etc? All: How many
        > hours per week do you marble? In a studio geared for marbling? In a
        > room in your home set up for marbling when needed, such as kitchen,
        > etc? Do you teach classes or workshops? If yes: Privately or through
        > an educational institution? How often per year? Have you attended
        > marbling seminars or international gatherings? How many? Please
        > respond within the month of May, 2002, with pertinent info. No long
        > dissertations! Thank you so much for sharing.

      • sixshort
        Message 3 of 16 , May 10, 2002
          Hi there, good to hear of someone on the list who specializes in
          suminagashi. Could you please tell us what is involved in Suimonga
          and Majirozome? I have not come across these terms before. Also, for
          Suminagashi marbling, could you please tell me which paints or inks
          should be used to achieve bright colours? I have been using only
          Sakura marbling inks, very good but limited in colour. Also,I have
          been trying to achieve voids for calligraphy but have not had much
          success. Masking does not give me good results for calligraphy with
          this style of marbling. Do you have any ideas or secrets about
          calligraphic voids which you are willing to share with the group? I
          understand that you may not be able to do this, and that is o.k. Best
          regards, Joan Ajala
        • carylhanc@aol.com
          Message 4 of 16 , May 10, 2002
            Hi!
            I am a hobbiest/novice, who has taught a little. Just 1/2 to 1 day classes
            to introduce the techniques. I have taught at both quilt shops and at a
            community ed center.
            I spend an average of 5 hours a week in the laundry room marbling. I have
            just moved into my husbands abandoned (!) darkroom, and have his 4 x 6 foot
            sink for use, but am not sure that its height will work for marbling.
            I have sold marbled sox and scarves at home shows and the co-op I belong to.
            Caryl Hancock
          • Franklyn Smith
            Message 5 of 16 , May 11, 2002
              Hi,

              My first answer is a protest about your definition of professional as
              full time and hobbyist as part time. I really object to the term
              hobbyist. Profession is a term that relates to the level of the work.
              Some of the most important bookbinders in the world work at the bench
              part time: teach, write or work at institutional administrative jobs
              etc. the rest of the time) Does this make them hobbyists? This is not an
              unimportant distinction and has caused many problems over the years. It
              also makes me furious since it is an issue I have been fighting for
              twenty years with granting agencies etc.

              I have a studio geared for marbling in my basement, work at marbling
              sporadically as time allows (I am also the Managing Director (unpaid)
              for the Canadian Bookbinders and Book Artists Guild, and part time
              restorer/conservator). I usually do 6 or more marbling periods of two
              weeks per year but this certainly varies. I teach (but, again and for
              many reasons, much less frequently than I used to) in my studio and for
              CBBAG, for heritage sites, museums and galleries, etc. I attended the
              San Francisco Gathering.

              Shelagh Smith

              > I am taking a survey as to how many marblers currently
              reading and
              > using this group forum are professionals (full time), or
              hobbiests
              > (part time).
              > If a professional marbler: is your income derived solely from
              creating
              > marbled papers or other venues such as fabric, etc? All: How
              many
              > hours per week do you marble? In a studio geared for
              marbling? In a
              > room in your home set up for marbling when needed, such as
              kitchen,
              > etc? Do you teach classes or workshops? If yes: Privately or
              through
              > an educational institution? How often per year? Have you
              attended
              > marbling seminars or international gatherings? How many?
              Please
              > respond within the month of May, 2002, with pertinent info. No
              long
              > dissertations! Thank you so much for sharing.

              Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
            • tkuroda
              Message 6 of 16 , May 11, 2002
                Dear Joan Ajala
                Suimonga and Majirozome are the new type of Suminagashi. Suimonga uses
                surface tension effect both spread direction and consentration direction on
                the surface of water.
                Suimonga and Majirozome uses tap water( no carageen moss needed)
                Majirozome uses dye powder to get fine pattern.
                Very small amount of dye powder directly placed on the surface of water. But
                to get fine pattern on the surface of water , characteristics of dye powder
                should be carefully observed. Please see other communications on Majirozome
                for your reference. Thank you for your question.
                Takaji KURODA wrote.
                > Hi there, good to hear of someone on the list who specializes in
                > suminagashi. Could you please tell us what is involved in Suimonga
                > and Majirozome? I have not come across these terms before. Also, for
                > Suminagashi marbling, could you please tell me which paints or inks
                > should be used to achieve bright colours? I have been using only
                > Sakura marbling inks, very good but limited in colour. Also,I have
                > been trying to achieve voids for calligraphy but have not had much
                > success. Masking does not give me good results for calligraphy with
                > this style of marbling. Do you have any ideas or secrets about
                > calligraphic voids which you are willing to share with the group? I
                > understand that you may not be able to do this, and that is o.k. Best
                > regards, Joan Ajala

              • Martha Johnson
                Message 7 of 16 , May 14, 2002
                  Hi-
                  I'm a full time marbler, papermaker, and photographer, with a bit of
                  print and web design on the side. I've mostly marbled fabric using
                  Liquitex and Jacquard paints on MC. When I read an earlier answer to
                  the survey by another Martha I thought for a moment I'd answered and
                  then forgotten! Very similar stories as I've taken over nearly half
                  of our house for studio space! I'm just lucky my husband is a car nut
                  so as long as I don't take over any space in the garage he doesn't
                  mind. ;-)

                  My basement is my marbling studio with a 4'x8' tank and also my
                  papermaking studio where I work mainly with recycled office paper and
                  plant fibers. One bedroom is a darkroom for color and black and white
                  photography, and another is what I call a production studio where I
                  bind books, make cards, package items to be sent, etc. Most of my
                  income this year has come from marbling t-shirts, doing about 50 a
                  week with some sales in cards, books, and photography. Currently I'm
                  working on marbling bandanas and socks. I'm hoping to be able to go
                  to the gathering as I'm totally self-taught and would love to see how
                  others work with this fantastic, frustrating, and fulfilling medium!
                  I also have learned a lot from this list and would enjoy meeting all
                  you folks at the gathering.
                  Martha

                  On 5/9/2002 at 2:58 PM +0000, on the subject of [Marbling] Survey,
                  mpmh60201's digits tickled the keyboard thusly:
                  >I am taking a survey as to how many marblers currently reading and
                  >using this group forum are professionals (full time), or hobbiests
                  >(part time).
                  >If a professional marbler: is your income derived solely from creating
                  >marbled papers or other venues such as fabric, etc? All: How many
                  >hours per week do you marble? In a studio geared for marbling? In a
                  >room in your home set up for marbling when needed, such as kitchen,
                  >etc? Do you teach classes or workshops? If yes: Privately or through
                  >an educational institution? How often per year? Have you attended
                  >marbling seminars or international gatherings? How many? Please
                  >respond within the month of May, 2002, with pertinent info. No long
                  >dissertations! Thank you so much for sharing.

                  Martha Johnson,
                  Mid-Life Crisis, Ltd.
                  Photography / Handmade paper / Print & Web Design / British cars /
                  http://www.mlcltd.com
                • James M Mahoney
                  Message 8 of 16 , May 14, 2002
                    I am a professional artist, in important portion of which is marbling
                    since I use it in my artwork.
                    My income is derived from my art. Since I am a multimedia artist, this
                    includes marbling, both paper and other fibers. The portion of time
                    spent marbling depends on my "stock" of papers (meaning I probably will
                    marble because I want that specific color or design/shape for this
                    specific piece of art I'm working on - and you rarely have just exactly
                    what you need, do you!)
                    I have a studio at my home, where I can work day and/or night.
                    I teach some workshops, but usually no more than 3 or 4 per year, as I
                    prefer to spend my time on my art.
                    When I teach or demonstrate, it is through established arts organizations
                    or institutions.
                    I have not attended an international gathering, but I will be at
                    Arrowmont in September.

                    Monita Mahoney

                    On Thu, 09 May 2002 14:58:08 -0000 "mpmh60201" <milena@...>
                    writes:
                    > I am taking a survey as to how many marblers currently reading and
                    > using this group forum are professionals (full time), or hobbiests
                    > (part time).
                    > If a professional marbler: is your income derived solely from
                    > creating
                    > marbled papers or other venues such as fabric, etc? All: How many
                    > hours per week do you marble? In a studio geared for marbling? In
                    > room in your home set up for marbling when needed, such as kitchen,
                    >
                    > etc? Do you teach classes or workshops? If yes: Privately or
                    > through
                    > an educational institution? How often per year? Have you attended
                    > marbling seminars or international gatherings? How many? Please
                    > respond within the month of May, 2002, with pertinent info. No long
                    >
                    > dissertations! Thank you so much for sharing.

                  • Gail MacKenzie
                    Message 9 of 16 , May 16, 2002
                      Hello,

                      I enjoy reading this group forum, and often have something I¹d like to ad,
                      but don¹t take the extra time. I hope that the same questions will be
                      brought up at Arrowmont this Fall.

                      I work full time AND over time. If I added up the hours for traveling and
                      doing shows, I think I would drop dead!!

                      All of my income is derived from marbling: accessories and interiors.

                      I have a 750 square foot studio dedicated to marbling messes.

                      I have attended 2 conventions and am really looking forward to the next one!

                      Regards!! Gail

                    • hamburgerbuntpapier_de
                      Message 10 of 16 , Sep 15, 2004
                        Just completed the survey. Goodness - I only hope I understood every time what they
                        wanted.

                        Susanne Krause