[Marbling] Survey

    Message 1 of 16 , May 9, 2002
      I am professional, hours per week varies, but I do 200-400 sheets monthly
      most times. I teach, have been affiliated with Peters Valley in Layton, NJ
      for many years. This year may be my last workshop but I will continue to
      teach privately. I have attended two of the gatherings thus far.

      Iris Nevins
    • sixshort
      Message 2 of 16 , May 9, 2002
        -Hi Milena, I am a hobbyist marbler trying to establish myself as a
        professional. As I am in my retirement and have been marbling for
        only three years, this "professionalism" will be more in the quest
        for good marbling than a full income. I receive orders from
        bookbinders and from craft shops for A4 sized papers, as well as
        wedding invitation papers. I marble for about 5 days every two to
        three weeks, depending on orders.
        My workshop is my kitchen-dining area, although I am planning to add
        an extra room for marbling. I do not take classes as yet, but hope to
        do so when I feel confident enough.
        I took two wonderful weekend workshops with Vi Wilson, one of
        Australia's foremost marblers, and have continued with her help,
        mostly marbling on paper with watercolours. Iris Nevins has been a
        very kind help over the internet, answering many questions, and being
        a lifeline when Vi has been unavailable. Iris's books and many other
        marbling books have also been invaluable.
        I am coming to the September gathering. Best regards, Joan Ajala
      • Laura Sims
        Message 3 of 16 , May 9, 2002
          --- mpmh60201 <milena@...> wrote:
          > I am taking a survey as to how many marblers
          > currently reading and > using this group forum are
          professionals (full > time), or hobbiests (part time).

          > If a professional marbler: is your income derived
          > solely from creating marbled papers or other venues
          such as fabric, etc?

          I am a full-time marbler. My income is derived
          primarily from the sell of scarves, lined scarves and
          evening wraps and some garments. I also dye a great
          deal of my fabrics. Occassionally, I print work for
          framing.

          All: How many hours per week do you marble? It varies
          greatly. When in high gear to fill orders and during
          show preparation, easily 60 hours in a week. Other
          times I may not be marbling, but I'm ordering fabric,
          dyeing fabric,tagging work,delivering orders...etc.

          In a studio geared for marbling? In a
          > room in your home set up for marbling when needed,
          > such as kitchen, > etc?
          The past 5 years my studio has been in my basement.
          It is small, but efficient.

          Do you teach classes or workshops? If yes:
          > Privately or through
          > an educational institution? How often per year?
          I primarily teach in educational institutions 2-3
          times a year for a week. Sometimes I teach privately
          or short introductory workshops.

          > Have you attended marbling seminars or international
          gatherings? How many?
          I have attend 2, Santa Fe and San Francisco.
          Please
          > respond within the month of May, 2002, with
          > pertinent info. No long
          > dissertations! Thank you so much for sharing.

          http://shopping.yahoo.com
        • tkuroda
          Message 4 of 16 , May 9, 2002
            1) I am a hobbyist marbler for Suminagashi ,Suimonga and Majirozome. 2) I
            am marbling about 10 hours per week 3) I am marbling in my private room
            with specialy designed big bath. 115Wx75Dx13H cm 3) I am demonstrating
            marbling two times per year in occasion of town festivals. 4) Attending art
            exhibition with my marbled paper 4 times per year on average. Paper size is
            64x94 cm.

            Message 5 of 16 , May 9, 2002
              Re-transmission
              1) I am a hobbyist marbler for Suminagashi ,Suimonga and Majirozome. 2) I
              am marbling about 10 hours per week 3) I am marbling in my private room
              with specialy designed big bath. 115Wx75Dx13H cm 3) I am demonstrating
              marbling two times per year in occasion of town festivals. 4) Attending art
              exhibition with my marbled paper 4 times per year on average. Paper size is
              64x94 cm.

                Takaji KURODA
              tkuroda@...
              Tokyo, JAPAN

              Message 6 of 16 , May 10, 2002
                Hi there, good to hear of someone on the list who specializes in
                suminagashi. Could you please tell us what is involved in Suimonga
                and Majirozome? I have not come across these terms before. Also, for
                Suminagashi marbling, could you please tell me which paints or inks
                should be used to achieve bright colours? I have been using only
                Sakura marbling inks, very good but limited in colour. Also,I have
                been trying to achieve voids for calligraphy but have not had much
                success. Masking does not give me good results for calligraphy with
                this style of marbling. Do you have any ideas or secrets about
                calligraphic voids which you are willing to share with the group? I
                understand that you may not be able to do this, and that is o.k. Best
                regards, Joan Ajala
              • carylhanc@aol.com
                Message 7 of 16 , May 10, 2002
                  Hi!
                  I am a hobbiest/novice, who has taught a little. Just 1/2 to 1 day classes
                  to introduce the techniques. I have taught at both quilt shops and at a
                  community ed center.
                  I spend an average of 5 hours a week in the laundry room marbling. I have
                  just moved into my husbands abandoned (!) darkroom, and have his 4 x 6 foot
                  sink for use, but am not sure that its height will work for marbling.
                  I have sold marbled sox and scarves at home shows and the co-op I belong to.
                  Caryl Hancock
                • Franklyn Smith
                  Message 8 of 16 , May 11, 2002
                    Hi,

                    My first answer is a protest about your definition of professional as
                    full time and hobbyist as part time. I really object to the term
                    hobbyist. Profession is a term that relates to the level of the work.
                    Some of the most important bookbinders in the world work at the bench
                    part time: teach, write or work at institutional administrative jobs
                    etc. the rest of the time) Does this make them hobbyists? This is not an
                    unimportant distinction and has caused many problems over the years. It
                    also makes me furious since it is an issue I have been fighting for
                    twenty years with granting agencies etc.

                    I have a studio geared for marbling in my basement, work at marbling
                    sporadically as time allows (I am also the Managing Director (unpaid)
                    for the Canadian Bookbinders and Book Artists Guild, and part time
                    restorer/conservator). I usually do 6 or more marbling periods of two
                    weeks per year but this certainly varies. I teach (but, again and for
                    many reasons, much less frequently than I used to) in my studio and for
                    CBBAG, for heritage sites, museums and galleries, etc. I attended the
                    San Francisco Gathering.

                    Shelagh Smith

                    > I am taking a survey as to how many marblers currently
                    reading and
                    > using this group forum are professionals (full time), or
                    hobbiests
                    > (part time).
                    > If a professional marbler: is your income derived solely from
                    creating
                    > marbled papers or other venues such as fabric, etc? All: How
                    many
                    > hours per week do you marble? In a studio geared for
                    marbling? In a
                    > room in your home set up for marbling when needed, such as
                    kitchen,
                    > etc? Do you teach classes or workshops? If yes: Privately or
                    through
                    > an educational institution? How often per year? Have you
                    attended
                    > marbling seminars or international gatherings? How many?
                    Please
                    > respond within the month of May, 2002, with pertinent info. No
                    long
                    > dissertations! Thank you so much for sharing.

                    Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                  • tkuroda
                    Message 9 of 16 , May 11, 2002
                      Dear Joan Ajala
                      Suimonga and Majirozome are the new type of Suminagashi. Suimonga uses
                      surface tension effect both spread direction and consentration direction on
                      the surface of water.
                      Suimonga and Majirozome uses tap water( no carageen moss needed)
                      Majirozome uses dye powder to get fine pattern.
                      Very small amount of dye powder directly placed on the surface of water. But
                      to get fine pattern on the surface of water , characteristics of dye powder
                      should be carefully observed. Please see other communications on Majirozome
                      for your reference. Thank you for your question.
                      Takaji KURODA wrote.
                      > Hi there, good to hear of someone on the list who specializes in
                      > suminagashi. Could you please tell us what is involved in Suimonga
                      > and Majirozome? I have not come across these terms before. Also, for
                      > Suminagashi marbling, could you please tell me which paints or inks
                      > should be used to achieve bright colours? I have been using only
                      > Sakura marbling inks, very good but limited in colour. Also,I have
                      > been trying to achieve voids for calligraphy but have not had much
                      > success. Masking does not give me good results for calligraphy with
                      > this style of marbling. Do you have any ideas or secrets about
                      > calligraphic voids which you are willing to share with the group? I
                      > understand that you may not be able to do this, and that is o.k. Best
                      > regards, Joan Ajala

                    • Martha Johnson
                      Message 10 of 16 , May 14, 2002
                        Hi-
                        I'm a full time marbler, papermaker, and photographer, with a bit of
                        print and web design on the side. I've mostly marbled fabric using
                        Liquitex and Jacquard paints on MC. When I read an earlier answer to
                        the survey by another Martha I thought for a moment I'd answered and
                        then forgotten! Very similar stories as I've taken over nearly half
                        of our house for studio space! I'm just lucky my husband is a car nut
                        so as long as I don't take over any space in the garage he doesn't
                        mind. ;-)

                        My basement is my marbling studio with a 4'x8' tank and also my
                        papermaking studio where I work mainly with recycled office paper and
                        plant fibers. One bedroom is a darkroom for color and black and white
                        photography, and another is what I call a production studio where I
                        bind books, make cards, package items to be sent, etc. Most of my
                        income this year has come from marbling t-shirts, doing about 50 a
                        week with some sales in cards, books, and photography. Currently I'm
                        working on marbling bandanas and socks. I'm hoping to be able to go
                        to the gathering as I'm totally self-taught and would love to see how
                        others work with this fantastic, frustrating, and fulfilling medium!
                        I also have learned a lot from this list and would enjoy meeting all
                        you folks at the gathering.
                        Martha

                        On 5/9/2002 at 2:58 PM +0000, on the subject of [Marbling] Survey,
                        mpmh60201's digits tickled the keyboard thusly:
                        >I am taking a survey as to how many marblers currently reading and
                        >using this group forum are professionals (full time), or hobbiests
                        >(part time).
                        >If a professional marbler: is your income derived solely from creating
                        >marbled papers or other venues such as fabric, etc? All: How many
                        >hours per week do you marble? In a studio geared for marbling? In a
                        >room in your home set up for marbling when needed, such as kitchen,
                        >etc? Do you teach classes or workshops? If yes: Privately or through
                        >an educational institution? How often per year? Have you attended
                        >marbling seminars or international gatherings? How many? Please
                        >respond within the month of May, 2002, with pertinent info. No long
                        >dissertations! Thank you so much for sharing.

                        Martha Johnson,
                        Mid-Life Crisis, Ltd.
                        Photography / Handmade paper / Print & Web Design / British cars /
                        http://www.mlcltd.com
                      • James M Mahoney
                        Message 11 of 16 , May 14, 2002
                          I am a professional artist, in important portion of which is marbling
                          since I use it in my artwork.
                          My income is derived from my art. Since I am a multimedia artist, this
                          includes marbling, both paper and other fibers. The portion of time
                          spent marbling depends on my "stock" of papers (meaning I probably will
                          marble because I want that specific color or design/shape for this
                          specific piece of art I'm working on - and you rarely have just exactly
                          what you need, do you!)
                          I have a studio at my home, where I can work day and/or night.
                          I teach some workshops, but usually no more than 3 or 4 per year, as I
                          prefer to spend my time on my art.
                          When I teach or demonstrate, it is through established arts organizations
                          or institutions.
                          I have not attended an international gathering, but I will be at
                          Arrowmont in September.

                          Monita Mahoney

                          On Thu, 09 May 2002 14:58:08 -0000 "mpmh60201" <milena@...>
                          writes:
                          > I am taking a survey as to how many marblers currently reading and
                          > using this group forum are professionals (full time), or hobbiests
                          > (part time).
                          > If a professional marbler: is your income derived solely from
                          > creating
                          > marbled papers or other venues such as fabric, etc? All: How many
                          > hours per week do you marble? In a studio geared for marbling? In
                          > room in your home set up for marbling when needed, such as kitchen,
                          >
                          > etc? Do you teach classes or workshops? If yes: Privately or
                          > through
                          > an educational institution? How often per year? Have you attended
                          > marbling seminars or international gatherings? How many? Please
                          > respond within the month of May, 2002, with pertinent info. No long
                          >
                          > dissertations! Thank you so much for sharing.

                        • Gail MacKenzie
                          Message 12 of 16 , May 16, 2002
                            Hello,

                            I enjoy reading this group forum, and often have something I¹d like to ad,
                            but don¹t take the extra time. I hope that the same questions will be
                            brought up at Arrowmont this Fall.

                            I work full time AND over time. If I added up the hours for traveling and
                            doing shows, I think I would drop dead!!

                            All of my income is derived from marbling: accessories and interiors.

                            I have a 750 square foot studio dedicated to marbling messes.

                            I have attended 2 conventions and am really looking forward to the next one!

                            Regards!! Gail

                          • hamburgerbuntpapier_de
                            Message 13 of 16 , Sep 15, 2004
                              Just completed the survey. Goodness - I only hope I understood every time what they
                              wanted.

                              Susanne Krause