Survey

  • mpmh60201
    Message 1 of 16 , May 9, 2002
      I am taking a survey as to how many marblers currently reading and
      using this group forum are professionals (full time), or hobbiests
      (part time).
      If a professional marbler: is your income derived solely from creating
      marbled papers or other venues such as fabric, etc? All: How many
      hours per week do you marble? In a studio geared for marbling? In a
      room in your home set up for marbling when needed, such as kitchen,
      etc? Do you teach classes or workshops? If yes: Privately or through
      an educational institution? How often per year? Have you attended
      marbling seminars or international gatherings? How many? Please
      respond within the month of May, 2002, with pertinent info. No long
      dissertations! Thank you so much for sharing.
    • jemiljan
      Message 2 of 16 , May 9, 2002
        Message 3 of 16 , May 9, 2002
          I am professional, hours per week varies, but I do 200-400 sheets monthly
          most times. I teach, have been affiliated with Peters Valley in Layton, NJ
          for many years. This year may be my last workshop but I will continue to
          teach privately. I have attended two of the gatherings thus far.

          Iris Nevins
        • sixshort
          Message 4 of 16 , May 9, 2002
            -Hi Milena, I am a hobbyist marbler trying to establish myself as a
            professional. As I am in my retirement and have been marbling for
            only three years, this "professionalism" will be more in the quest
            for good marbling than a full income. I receive orders from
            bookbinders and from craft shops for A4 sized papers, as well as
            wedding invitation papers. I marble for about 5 days every two to
            three weeks, depending on orders.
            My workshop is my kitchen-dining area, although I am planning to add
            an extra room for marbling. I do not take classes as yet, but hope to
            do so when I feel confident enough.
            I took two wonderful weekend workshops with Vi Wilson, one of
            Australia's foremost marblers, and have continued with her help,
            mostly marbling on paper with watercolours. Iris Nevins has been a
            very kind help over the internet, answering many questions, and being
            a lifeline when Vi has been unavailable. Iris's books and many other
            marbling books have also been invaluable.
            I am coming to the September gathering. Best regards, Joan Ajala
          • Laura Sims
            Message 5 of 16 , May 9, 2002
              --- mpmh60201 <milena@...> wrote:
              > I am taking a survey as to how many marblers
              > currently reading and > using this group forum are
              professionals (full > time), or hobbiests (part time).

              > If a professional marbler: is your income derived
              > solely from creating marbled papers or other venues
              such as fabric, etc?

              I am a full-time marbler. My income is derived
              primarily from the sell of scarves, lined scarves and
              evening wraps and some garments. I also dye a great
              deal of my fabrics. Occassionally, I print work for
              framing.

              All: How many hours per week do you marble? It varies
              greatly. When in high gear to fill orders and during
              show preparation, easily 60 hours in a week. Other
              times I may not be marbling, but I'm ordering fabric,
              dyeing fabric,tagging work,delivering orders...etc.

              In a studio geared for marbling? In a
              > room in your home set up for marbling when needed,
              > such as kitchen, > etc?
              The past 5 years my studio has been in my basement.
              It is small, but efficient.

              Do you teach classes or workshops? If yes:
              > Privately or through
              > an educational institution? How often per year?
              I primarily teach in educational institutions 2-3
              times a year for a week. Sometimes I teach privately
              or short introductory workshops.

              > Have you attended marbling seminars or international
              gatherings? How many?
              I have attend 2, Santa Fe and San Francisco.
              Please
              > respond within the month of May, 2002, with
              > pertinent info. No long
              > dissertations! Thank you so much for sharing.

              http://shopping.yahoo.com
            • tkuroda
              Message 6 of 16 , May 9, 2002
                1) I am a hobbyist marbler for Suminagashi ,Suimonga and Majirozome. 2) I
                am marbling about 10 hours per week 3) I am marbling in my private room
                with specialy designed big bath. 115Wx75Dx13H cm 3) I am demonstrating
                marbling two times per year in occasion of town festivals. 4) Attending art
                exhibition with my marbled paper 4 times per year on average. Paper size is
                64x94 cm.

                Message 7 of 16 , May 9, 2002
                  Re-transmission
                  1) I am a hobbyist marbler for Suminagashi ,Suimonga and Majirozome. 2) I
                  am marbling about 10 hours per week 3) I am marbling in my private room
                  with specialy designed big bath. 115Wx75Dx13H cm 3) I am demonstrating
                  marbling two times per year in occasion of town festivals. 4) Attending art
                  exhibition with my marbled paper 4 times per year on average. Paper size is
                  64x94 cm.

                    Takaji KURODA
                  tkuroda@...
                  Tokyo, JAPAN

                  Message 8 of 16 , May 10, 2002
                    Hi there, good to hear of someone on the list who specializes in
                    suminagashi. Could you please tell us what is involved in Suimonga
                    and Majirozome? I have not come across these terms before. Also, for
                    Suminagashi marbling, could you please tell me which paints or inks
                    should be used to achieve bright colours? I have been using only
                    Sakura marbling inks, very good but limited in colour. Also,I have
                    been trying to achieve voids for calligraphy but have not had much
                    success. Masking does not give me good results for calligraphy with
                    this style of marbling. Do you have any ideas or secrets about
                    calligraphic voids which you are willing to share with the group? I
                    understand that you may not be able to do this, and that is o.k. Best
                    regards, Joan Ajala
                  • carylhanc@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 16 , May 10, 2002
                      Hi!
                      I am a hobbiest/novice, who has taught a little. Just 1/2 to 1 day classes
                      to introduce the techniques. I have taught at both quilt shops and at a
                      community ed center.
                      I spend an average of 5 hours a week in the laundry room marbling. I have
                      just moved into my husbands abandoned (!) darkroom, and have his 4 x 6 foot
                      sink for use, but am not sure that its height will work for marbling.
                      I have sold marbled sox and scarves at home shows and the co-op I belong to.
                      Caryl Hancock
                    • Franklyn Smith
                      Message 10 of 16 , May 11, 2002
                        Hi,

                        My first answer is a protest about your definition of professional as
                        full time and hobbyist as part time. I really object to the term
                        hobbyist. Profession is a term that relates to the level of the work.
                        Some of the most important bookbinders in the world work at the bench
                        part time: teach, write or work at institutional administrative jobs
                        etc. the rest of the time) Does this make them hobbyists? This is not an
                        unimportant distinction and has caused many problems over the years. It
                        also makes me furious since it is an issue I have been fighting for
                        twenty years with granting agencies etc.

                        I have a studio geared for marbling in my basement, work at marbling
                        sporadically as time allows (I am also the Managing Director (unpaid)
                        for the Canadian Bookbinders and Book Artists Guild, and part time
                        restorer/conservator). I usually do 6 or more marbling periods of two
                        weeks per year but this certainly varies. I teach (but, again and for
                        many reasons, much less frequently than I used to) in my studio and for
                        CBBAG, for heritage sites, museums and galleries, etc. I attended the
                        San Francisco Gathering.

                        Shelagh Smith

                        > I am taking a survey as to how many marblers currently
                        reading and
                        > using this group forum are professionals (full time), or
                        hobbiests
                        > (part time).
                        > If a professional marbler: is your income derived solely from
                        creating
                        > marbled papers or other venues such as fabric, etc? All: How
                        many
                        > hours per week do you marble? In a studio geared for
                        marbling? In a
                        > room in your home set up for marbling when needed, such as
                        kitchen,
                        > etc? Do you teach classes or workshops? If yes: Privately or
                        through
                        > an educational institution? How often per year? Have you
                        attended
                        > marbling seminars or international gatherings? How many?
                        Please
                        > respond within the month of May, 2002, with pertinent info. No
                        long
                        > dissertations! Thank you so much for sharing.

                        Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                      • tkuroda
                        Message 11 of 16 , May 11, 2002
                          Dear Joan Ajala
                          Suimonga and Majirozome are the new type of Suminagashi. Suimonga uses
                          surface tension effect both spread direction and consentration direction on
                          the surface of water.
                          Suimonga and Majirozome uses tap water( no carageen moss needed)
                          Majirozome uses dye powder to get fine pattern.
                          Very small amount of dye powder directly placed on the surface of water. But
                          to get fine pattern on the surface of water , characteristics of dye powder
                          should be carefully observed. Please see other communications on Majirozome
                          for your reference. Thank you for your question.
                          Takaji KURODA wrote.
                          > Hi there, good to hear of someone on the list who specializes in
                          > suminagashi. Could you please tell us what is involved in Suimonga
                          > and Majirozome? I have not come across these terms before. Also, for
                          > Suminagashi marbling, could you please tell me which paints or inks
                          > should be used to achieve bright colours? I have been using only
                          > Sakura marbling inks, very good but limited in colour. Also,I have
                          > been trying to achieve voids for calligraphy but have not had much
                          > success. Masking does not give me good results for calligraphy with
                          > this style of marbling. Do you have any ideas or secrets about
                          > calligraphic voids which you are willing to share with the group? I
                          > understand that you may not be able to do this, and that is o.k. Best
                          > regards, Joan Ajala

                        • Martha Johnson
                          Message 12 of 16 , May 14, 2002
                            Hi-
                            I'm a full time marbler, papermaker, and photographer, with a bit of
                            print and web design on the side. I've mostly marbled fabric using
                            Liquitex and Jacquard paints on MC. When I read an earlier answer to
                            the survey by another Martha I thought for a moment I'd answered and
                            then forgotten! Very similar stories as I've taken over nearly half
                            of our house for studio space! I'm just lucky my husband is a car nut
                            so as long as I don't take over any space in the garage he doesn't
                            mind. ;-)

                            My basement is my marbling studio with a 4'x8' tank and also my
                            papermaking studio where I work mainly with recycled office paper and
                            plant fibers. One bedroom is a darkroom for color and black and white
                            photography, and another is what I call a production studio where I
                            bind books, make cards, package items to be sent, etc. Most of my
                            income this year has come from marbling t-shirts, doing about 50 a
                            week with some sales in cards, books, and photography. Currently I'm
                            working on marbling bandanas and socks. I'm hoping to be able to go
                            to the gathering as I'm totally self-taught and would love to see how
                            others work with this fantastic, frustrating, and fulfilling medium!
                            I also have learned a lot from this list and would enjoy meeting all
                            you folks at the gathering.
                            Martha

                            On 5/9/2002 at 2:58 PM +0000, on the subject of [Marbling] Survey,
                            mpmh60201's digits tickled the keyboard thusly:
                            >I am taking a survey as to how many marblers currently reading and
                            >using this group forum are professionals (full time), or hobbiests
                            >(part time).
                            >If a professional marbler: is your income derived solely from creating
                            >marbled papers or other venues such as fabric, etc? All: How many
                            >hours per week do you marble? In a studio geared for marbling? In a
                            >room in your home set up for marbling when needed, such as kitchen,
                            >etc? Do you teach classes or workshops? If yes: Privately or through
                            >an educational institution? How often per year? Have you attended
                            >marbling seminars or international gatherings? How many? Please
                            >respond within the month of May, 2002, with pertinent info. No long
                            >dissertations! Thank you so much for sharing.

                            Martha Johnson,
                            Mid-Life Crisis, Ltd.
                            Photography / Handmade paper / Print & Web Design / British cars /
                            http://www.mlcltd.com
                          • James M Mahoney
                            Message 13 of 16 , May 14, 2002
                              I am a professional artist, in important portion of which is marbling
                              since I use it in my artwork.
                              My income is derived from my art. Since I am a multimedia artist, this
                              includes marbling, both paper and other fibers. The portion of time
                              spent marbling depends on my "stock" of papers (meaning I probably will
                              marble because I want that specific color or design/shape for this
                              specific piece of art I'm working on - and you rarely have just exactly
                              what you need, do you!)
                              I have a studio at my home, where I can work day and/or night.
                              I teach some workshops, but usually no more than 3 or 4 per year, as I
                              prefer to spend my time on my art.
                              When I teach or demonstrate, it is through established arts organizations
                              or institutions.
                              I have not attended an international gathering, but I will be at
                              Arrowmont in September.

                              Monita Mahoney

                              On Thu, 09 May 2002 14:58:08 -0000 "mpmh60201" <milena@...>
                              writes:
                              > I am taking a survey as to how many marblers currently reading and
                              > using this group forum are professionals (full time), or hobbiests
                              > (part time).
                              > If a professional marbler: is your income derived solely from
                              > creating
                              > marbled papers or other venues such as fabric, etc? All: How many
                              > hours per week do you marble? In a studio geared for marbling? In
                              > room in your home set up for marbling when needed, such as kitchen,
                              >
                              > etc? Do you teach classes or workshops? If yes: Privately or
                              > through
                              > an educational institution? How often per year? Have you attended
                              > marbling seminars or international gatherings? How many? Please
                              > respond within the month of May, 2002, with pertinent info. No long
                              >
                              > dissertations! Thank you so much for sharing.

                            • Gail MacKenzie
                              Message 14 of 16 , May 16, 2002
                                Hello,

                                I enjoy reading this group forum, and often have something I¹d like to ad,
                                but don¹t take the extra time. I hope that the same questions will be
                                brought up at Arrowmont this Fall.

                                I work full time AND over time. If I added up the hours for traveling and
                                doing shows, I think I would drop dead!!

                                All of my income is derived from marbling: accessories and interiors.

                                I have a 750 square foot studio dedicated to marbling messes.

                                I have attended 2 conventions and am really looking forward to the next one!

                                Regards!! Gail

                              • hamburgerbuntpapier_de
                                Message 15 of 16 , Sep 15, 2004
                                  Just completed the survey. Goodness - I only hope I understood every time what they
                                  wanted.

                                  Susanne Krause