Re: marbled horse

  • Jake Benson
    Message 1 of 1 , May 7, 2002
      on 5/7/02 1:40 AM, Marbling@yahoogroups.com at Marbling@yahoogroups.com
      wrote:

      > behind the horse the only part of this that is marbled, or is the ink drawing
      > sitting on top of the larger block which has been marbled?
      > I have never been able to analyze complex works such as this. Martha
      > Duran

      I think it is the body of the horse that is the marbled area. Outlines and
      features were usually painted over the marbling, usually plain black or
      sepia though sometimes gold paint is also encountered. Admittedly, the
      image is pale. I'm ordering the catalog through interlibrary loan to see if
      the image is better in print.

      ...and George is correct to point out that it is due to the groundbreaking
      research of the late Christopher Weimann that we are able to appreciate
      these works today.

      Jake