Re: [Marbling] Digest Number 345

  • mtdatpw@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , May 5, 2002
      behind the horse the only part of this that is marbled, or is the ink drawing
      sitting on top of the larger block which has been marbled?
      I have never been able to analyze complex works such as this. Martha
      Duran

    • George K. Huber
      Message 2 of 2 , May 6, 2002
        >behind the horse the only part of this that is marbled, or is the ink drawing
        >sitting on top of the larger block which has been marbled?
        > I have never been able to analyze complex works such as this.

        In this book:

        Title: Christopher Weimann (1946-1988) : a tribute /
        Author(s): Weimann, Ingrid. ; Weimann, Christopher. ; Sönmez, Nedim,;
        1957-
        Publication:Tübingen : Jäckle-Sönmez,
        Year:1991
        29 cm.
        Language:English
        Descriptor:Marbling (Bookbinding) -- Specimens.
        Marbled papers -- United States.
        Note(s):"This book is published in two formats. The regular edition
        numbered 101-400 contains 8 original
        marbled papers by Christopher
        Weimann. The deluxe edition numbered 1-100 contains in addition
        ... 4 special pieces ... Regular
        edition number 162"--T.p. verso./ Mounted sample on t.p./ Includes
        bibliographical references.
        Responsibility: Ingrid Weimann ; Nedim Sönmez ; with over 90
        illustrations, 38 in color and 8/12 original samples
        made by Christopher Weimann.

        which is a tribute/memorial to the late Christopher Weimann, who died
        tragically so young, there are articles about him as well as a collection
        of his writings. He was fascinated by marbling with stencils and he
        figured out how the old masters created designs such as this typical "old
        nag". He tells here how it was done here.

        George K. Huber
        Swarthmore College