Working on Wood and More

  • Milena Hughes
    Message 1 of 1 , May 2 9:35 AM
      Del: BRAVO! Well written. I have been marbling since 1982, with wood
      since 1991 (not often now).
      My work had been in collaboration with a wood turner like yourself. We
      both had many years EXPERIENCE
      in our respective fields before attempting wood. My interest now lies
      in experimentination with wood as a canvas for fine art. So, the
      technique has become a creative tool (with much respect and study of the
      historic background from Japan and Turkey). Unfortunately, many works on
      wood now depend solely on applying a surface pattern to an already
      beautiful natural grained specimen. My advice to any novice would be to
      seek out creative enhancement for the wood object, rather than covering
      it with mediocre patterns and poor color harmony. Several years of
      paper marbling can still result in poorly marbled designs, and marbled
      wood craft items are now in abundance. This is unfortunate. The
      "unique" aspect has become mundane. Personally, I am moving farther
      from the heard rather than running with it. The majority of "marblers"
      (and I use the term loosely) are poorly trained, if at all, and I speak
      as an instructor of the three fundamental categories of marbling.
      Recognition comes with excellence and the door to success opens as if by
      magic. One must be PREPARED to open the door or be satisfied to remain
      behind it! A Turkish marbler once wrote: "Let us not sacrifice the
      features and beauty of the art of EBRU on the altar of innovation".
      Amen, Milena