RE: [Marbling] Digest Number 340

  • Linda Hohneke
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 29, 2002

      1. Cut approximately 6 x 6 piece of the top, denser knit section of the panty hose or a larger section of the leg area. It will be wrapped up into a ball and used to dip into the container of finish and to apply the finish to the object so it should be easy to hold and to control.

      2. Wear close fitting gloves to protect your hands from the finish.

      3. Saturate the hose with finish (I prefer to use a satin finish varnish or polyurethene and no, I do not thin it beofe using), apply finish to object, working to get the finish worked unto the surface without leaving obvious glossy streaks on the surface when the object is viewed in a raking light. This means using longer, smoother strokes and not working the finish beyond being tacky. This takes some practice.

      4. Once you are satisfied that you have no glossy areas, which indicate a heavier application of the finish, let the object dry thoroughly.

      5. Each application is a very thin layer of finish. The steel wool roughing of the surface is done with a very LIGHT touch because you do not want to go through the layer of finish and more especially IF you are doing this type of finish OVER a marbled or other decorative surface.

      6. Apply layers using this method until you have achieved the soft hand-rubbed appearing finish you desire. You will need to saturate your "ball" of nylon hose with less of the finish with each successive layer applied. I find applying polyurethene this way doesn't result in the heavy thick layer of finish that I personally dislike on wood objects. Usually three coats of finish will achieve the look -- sometimes only two coats and other times more depending upon the object. I have found the finish to be fairly durable.

      7. I realize that the pieces you are working with are not furniture, but wood turned pieces so you may want to do some experimenting. I have used the above method to turn a marbled paper covered particle board into a "marble" table top for the guest bedroom, but I skipped using the fine steel wool surface roughing step between layers of polyurethane. The
      table top repels moisture and has a soft finish. It is a SLOW process and it may not provide the look you desire. Hope this has answered some of the questions you had....

      Good Luck!

      Message: 2
      Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2002 19:26:28 -0000
      From: "northernlights2n" <mdstubbs@...>
      Subject: applying finish

      Dear Linda -

      This method of applying 'varnish types' of finishes sounds perfect......can you clarify what you mean by "a chunk of nylon hose" -
      can you elaborate on the method of application?

      I'm trying to picture this...........is it a nylon just wrapped up into a ball and you dip it in the finish and wipe it on the piece ....or do
      you wrap a nylon around a foam or regular paint brush........or around a rag or paper towel? It seems like just a wrapped up nylon
      would still gather too much finish resulting in too much or uncontrolled amounts of finish being applied to the piece.....which
      could cause drips etc.

      Do you ever thin the finish with this method, prior to application? Thanks for the GREAT idea!!! Mary Thouin-Stubbs

      > Mary --
      > I have applied polyurethanes and varnishes for years on furniture using a chunk of nylon hose and in the manner you would
      apply tung oils. Using this application method, it usually requires several coatings with a light steel wooling in between each coat
      of polyurethane/varnish. This eliminates the sagging drips and creates a soft hand-rubbed finish in appearance. It is a time
      consuming process.