Re: Hi 2 V Wilson

  • sixshort
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 28 4:08 AM
      Hi David, Good to hear of another marbler in Australia, particularly
      a keen new marbler! I see that Vi Wilson is going to contact you -
      she is great person and fine teacher - always there to help when you
      need her. I have tried marbling on cloth with some success using
      Liquitex and Pebeo, both of which work well. However, as a new
      marbler I found my general techniques were so poor that I did a
      weekend workshop in watercolour marbling with Vi to learn more. That
      was an eye opener! Two years later, I am still marbling on paper and
      continuing to absorb more about this magical craft. When I get back
      to marbling on cloth, wood etc., I know the time spent with paper
      will have been more than worthwhile.
      Concerning Kraftcolour carragheen, it is suitable for use with cloth,
      and is used by Melbourne marblers, but it is disastrous for fine
      marbling on paper. As long as you use only a styus for simple
      patterning it is o.k., but it can't take combing. When I used it,
      the pattern formed as a kind of thick jelly on the paper, took many
      hours to dry, and peeled off in thick layers if washed off too
      strongly.
      I live in Brunswick Heads, northern N.S.W., - you can find my phone
      number in a directory if you would like to contact me. You may be
      interested to contact Gerhard Veit, a local marbler with oils on
      fabric who has sold his beautiful marbled cloth for years at local
      markets. Nigel Sparrow marbles acrylics on cottons professionally
      and may still live locally - he used to sell finished garments using
      his cloth. Best regards, Joan Ajala