Re: [Marbling] Hi 2 V Wilson

  • J Dolphin
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 20, 2002
      No problem! If you are comfortable to exchange numbers, good. And certainly,
      if there is a synopsis of your conversation that would be relevant to
      marblers on the list, by all means post away!
      Thanks
      Jill
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 28, 2002
        Hi David, Good to hear of another marbler in Australia, particularly
        a keen new marbler! I see that Vi Wilson is going to contact you -
        she is great person and fine teacher - always there to help when you
        need her. I have tried marbling on cloth with some success using
        Liquitex and Pebeo, both of which work well. However, as a new
        marbler I found my general techniques were so poor that I did a
        weekend workshop in watercolour marbling with Vi to learn more. That
        was an eye opener! Two years later, I am still marbling on paper and
        continuing to absorb more about this magical craft. When I get back
        to marbling on cloth, wood etc., I know the time spent with paper
        will have been more than worthwhile.
        Concerning Kraftcolour carragheen, it is suitable for use with cloth,
        and is used by Melbourne marblers, but it is disastrous for fine
        marbling on paper. As long as you use only a styus for simple
        patterning it is o.k., but it can't take combing. When I used it,
        the pattern formed as a kind of thick jelly on the paper, took many
        hours to dry, and peeled off in thick layers if washed off too
        strongly.
        I live in Brunswick Heads, northern N.S.W., - you can find my phone
        number in a directory if you would like to contact me. You may be
        interested to contact Gerhard Veit, a local marbler with oils on
        fabric who has sold his beautiful marbled cloth for years at local
        markets. Nigel Sparrow marbles acrylics on cottons professionally
        and may still live locally - he used to sell finished garments using
        his cloth. Best regards, Joan Ajala