Re: [Marbling] Liquitex

  • V. Wilson
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 20, 2002
      Hello Iris

      Yes, all things being equal, I will be there and it will be lovely to catch
      up with people I have not seen since SF. I'm looking forward to seeing
      Jean-Marie's book.

      Best wishes
      Vi

      >Hi Vi.....will you be coming to the gathering this year? We'd all love to
      >see you!
      >
      >Iris Nevins

    • J Dolphin
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 20, 2002
        No problem! If you are comfortable to exchange numbers, good. And certainly,
        if there is a synopsis of your conversation that would be relevant to
        marblers on the list, by all means post away!
        Thanks
        Jill
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 28, 2002
          Hi David, Good to hear of another marbler in Australia, particularly
          a keen new marbler! I see that Vi Wilson is going to contact you -
          she is great person and fine teacher - always there to help when you
          need her. I have tried marbling on cloth with some success using
          Liquitex and Pebeo, both of which work well. However, as a new
          marbler I found my general techniques were so poor that I did a
          weekend workshop in watercolour marbling with Vi to learn more. That
          was an eye opener! Two years later, I am still marbling on paper and
          continuing to absorb more about this magical craft. When I get back
          to marbling on cloth, wood etc., I know the time spent with paper
          will have been more than worthwhile.
          Concerning Kraftcolour carragheen, it is suitable for use with cloth,
          and is used by Melbourne marblers, but it is disastrous for fine
          marbling on paper. As long as you use only a styus for simple
          patterning it is o.k., but it can't take combing. When I used it,
          the pattern formed as a kind of thick jelly on the paper, took many
          hours to dry, and peeled off in thick layers if washed off too
          strongly.
          I live in Brunswick Heads, northern N.S.W., - you can find my phone
          number in a directory if you would like to contact me. You may be
          interested to contact Gerhard Veit, a local marbler with oils on
          fabric who has sold his beautiful marbled cloth for years at local
          markets. Nigel Sparrow marbles acrylics on cottons professionally
          and may still live locally - he used to sell finished garments using
          his cloth. Best regards, Joan Ajala