Re: [Marbling] Liquitex

  • V. Wilson
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 19, 2002
      Hi Milena and Iris

      Your kind comments are appreciated. I am in Southport (Gold Coast) in
      Queensland, and if David is in Australia (or elsewhere for that matter) I
      would be happy to hear from him and share my marb ling
      experiences. Likewise, I am not a fan of acrylic. Guess it depends on the
      end use of the marbling.

      More than happy to assist .. if I can

      Best wishes

      Vi W.

      At 07:34 AM 4/19/02 -0400, you wrote:
      >Yes...agreed with Milena....I have been so far removed from the commercial
      >acrylics for so long, I can't advise well, but Liquitex never filled the
      >bill for me either.
      >
      >And Vi Wilson is a wonderful marbler from Australia, not sure where, maybe
      >you can look her up for advice. Also....Joan Ajala....are you out ther on
      >this list? Maybe you can drop a note.
      >
      >Iris Nevins

    • david_2777
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 19, 2002
        Hi Violet, I read your last post and am very grateful for your offer
        of help. As I mentioned Iam interested in marbling fabric and as I
        have just begun this quest have hit a few obstacles (mainly
        appropriate supplys). The first being adequate paints which can be
        purchased within Australia. I live in Scarborough north of Brisbane,
        so we'd both experience similar weathers conditions, and was happy to
        read in one of your previous posts that you haven't found the
        Australia climate to hinder your work too much. I have been using
        Pebeo marbling acrylic paints and are achieving reasonable results
        considering they're my first attempts, however far from the visual
        intensity of colour and pattern I have seen published. But you gotta
        start somewhere!. I was wondering whether you may share with me
        which paints you have found work well for fabric (cotton, rayon, and
        silk). I have been told by Iris and a few others of paints they have
        no doubt painstaking formulated with manufacturers, and I would love
        to trial those eventually but at this stage due to cost restrictions,
        i'd prefer paints easily obtainable from Aus'.

        I read in an old submission of yours that you purchased your
        carrageenan from the US, but I thought on the odd chance you weren't
        aware of it, I found a supplier of carrageenan and other marbling
        supplies in Victoria called Kraftkolour and I bought 1kg for $39
        Aust'. (expensive/cheap)??

        THanks V and others for the support.

        Regards

        David
      • V. Wilson
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 19, 2002
          Hi David

          Since we live quite close, it might be better for us to communicate by
          phone, and I will email you privately with my phone number. In my opinion,
          the Kraftcolour is no substitute for carrageen. After I speak with you we
          can post to the list, anything that may be of help to other marblers. As
          list manager, Jill, hope this is OK with you.

          Vi Wilson
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 20, 2002
            Hi Vi.....will you be coming to the gathering this year? We'd all love to
            see you!

            Iris Nevins
          • V. Wilson
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 20, 2002
              Hello Iris

              Yes, all things being equal, I will be there and it will be lovely to catch
              up with people I have not seen since SF. I'm looking forward to seeing
              Jean-Marie's book.

              Best wishes
              Vi

              >Hi Vi.....will you be coming to the gathering this year? We'd all love to
              >see you!
              >
              >Iris Nevins

            • J Dolphin
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 20, 2002
                No problem! If you are comfortable to exchange numbers, good. And certainly,
                if there is a synopsis of your conversation that would be relevant to
                marblers on the list, by all means post away!
                Thanks
                Jill
                > Since we live quite close, it might be better for us to communicate by
                > phone, and I will email you privately with my phone number. In my
                opinion,
                > the Kraftcolour is no substitute for carrageen. After I speak with you we
                > can post to the list, anything that may be of help to other marblers. As
                > list manager, Jill, hope this is OK with you.
                >
                > Vi Wilson

              • sixshort
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 28, 2002
                  Hi David, Good to hear of another marbler in Australia, particularly
                  a keen new marbler! I see that Vi Wilson is going to contact you -
                  she is great person and fine teacher - always there to help when you
                  need her. I have tried marbling on cloth with some success using
                  Liquitex and Pebeo, both of which work well. However, as a new
                  marbler I found my general techniques were so poor that I did a
                  weekend workshop in watercolour marbling with Vi to learn more. That
                  was an eye opener! Two years later, I am still marbling on paper and
                  continuing to absorb more about this magical craft. When I get back
                  to marbling on cloth, wood etc., I know the time spent with paper
                  will have been more than worthwhile.
                  Concerning Kraftcolour carragheen, it is suitable for use with cloth,
                  and is used by Melbourne marblers, but it is disastrous for fine
                  marbling on paper. As long as you use only a styus for simple
                  patterning it is o.k., but it can't take combing. When I used it,
                  the pattern formed as a kind of thick jelly on the paper, took many
                  hours to dry, and peeled off in thick layers if washed off too
                  strongly.
                  I live in Brunswick Heads, northern N.S.W., - you can find my phone
                  number in a directory if you would like to contact me. You may be
                  interested to contact Gerhard Veit, a local marbler with oils on
                  fabric who has sold his beautiful marbled cloth for years at local
                  markets. Nigel Sparrow marbles acrylics on cottons professionally
                  and may still live locally - he used to sell finished garments using
                  his cloth. Best regards, Joan Ajala