Liquitex

  • Milena Hughes
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 18, 2002
      For David, et al:
      I have been marbling for over twenty years. Liquitex is my least
      favorite brand as it contains too much binder and
      very little pigment. My suggestion would be to practice your marbling
      techniques on paper before you begin the challenge of fabrics, which
      will add more "variables" to your note book on marbling. Formulas are
      very important.
      Probably the most important of all...and they will often need changing.
      This is not an exact science, which you are learning. Every project may
      have its own problems to contend with. What might work for me...perhaps
      not for you!
      Temperature, humidity, freshness of marbling supplies, etc. Your fabric
      must be washed without soap, dried, ironed, alumed, dried, ironed. Then
      it is ready for marbling. Perhaps your alum solution is to weak...or
      too strong! Both can
      cause pale colors, and most marblers do not use the same formula for
      paper and fabric. Fabric can rot very quickly from excess alum in the
      fibers over a short period of time. Also, you probably are not using
      sufficient color saturation in the tank to begin with. This is a common
      mistake with novices. What are you planning to do with it????? Please,
      I hope not to soon peddle it to the public as beautiful marbling if you
      are just learning the technique!!! It take many, many hours of
      practice, and still can be most discouraging at any given moment!

      I have worked with fabric, not my personal favorite surface for marbling
      (also various weights of paper, masonite, plaster, wood- including an 8'
      x 10' sectioned floor and a ton of bowls and vessels ). Get on the
      internet and hunt down some current books on marbling by American
      marblers (Iris Nevins, Patti and Mimi Schleicher, Laura Sims, Diane
      Maurer-Mathison to name a few). Still, you will need some hands-on
      instruction from a pro in teaching, or you will be making the same
      mistakes over and over.

      Frustration has reigned throughout the centuries. We all go through it
      at one time or another. It's part of being a marbler. You either have
      the "backbone" to continue...or not. Try contacting Violet Wilson in
      Australia...one of the best of the best! She might be able to lead you
      in the right direction as to proper materials, reading, etc., available
      in your area of the world Good luck! Milena, USA

      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 19, 2002
        Yes...agreed with Milena....I have been so far removed from the commercial
        acrylics for so long, I can't advise well, but Liquitex never filled the
        bill for me either.

        And Vi Wilson is a wonderful marbler from Australia, not sure where, maybe
        you can look her up for advice. Also....Joan Ajala....are you out ther on
        this list? Maybe you can drop a note.

        Iris Nevins
      • V. Wilson
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 19, 2002
          Hi Milena and Iris

          Your kind comments are appreciated. I am in Southport (Gold Coast) in
          Queensland, and if David is in Australia (or elsewhere for that matter) I
          would be happy to hear from him and share my marb ling
          experiences. Likewise, I am not a fan of acrylic. Guess it depends on the
          end use of the marbling.

          More than happy to assist .. if I can

          Best wishes

          Vi W.

          At 07:34 AM 4/19/02 -0400, you wrote:
          >Yes...agreed with Milena....I have been so far removed from the commercial
          >acrylics for so long, I can't advise well, but Liquitex never filled the
          >bill for me either.
          >
          >And Vi Wilson is a wonderful marbler from Australia, not sure where, maybe
          >you can look her up for advice. Also....Joan Ajala....are you out ther on
          >this list? Maybe you can drop a note.
          >
          >Iris Nevins

        • david_2777
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 19, 2002
            Hi Violet, I read your last post and am very grateful for your offer
            of help. As I mentioned Iam interested in marbling fabric and as I
            have just begun this quest have hit a few obstacles (mainly
            appropriate supplys). The first being adequate paints which can be
            purchased within Australia. I live in Scarborough north of Brisbane,
            so we'd both experience similar weathers conditions, and was happy to
            read in one of your previous posts that you haven't found the
            Australia climate to hinder your work too much. I have been using
            Pebeo marbling acrylic paints and are achieving reasonable results
            considering they're my first attempts, however far from the visual
            intensity of colour and pattern I have seen published. But you gotta
            start somewhere!. I was wondering whether you may share with me
            which paints you have found work well for fabric (cotton, rayon, and
            silk). I have been told by Iris and a few others of paints they have
            no doubt painstaking formulated with manufacturers, and I would love
            to trial those eventually but at this stage due to cost restrictions,
            i'd prefer paints easily obtainable from Aus'.

            I read in an old submission of yours that you purchased your
            carrageenan from the US, but I thought on the odd chance you weren't
            aware of it, I found a supplier of carrageenan and other marbling
            supplies in Victoria called Kraftkolour and I bought 1kg for $39
            Aust'. (expensive/cheap)??

            THanks V and others for the support.

            Regards

            David
          • V. Wilson
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 19, 2002
              Hi David

              Since we live quite close, it might be better for us to communicate by
              phone, and I will email you privately with my phone number. In my opinion,
              the Kraftcolour is no substitute for carrageen. After I speak with you we
              can post to the list, anything that may be of help to other marblers. As
              list manager, Jill, hope this is OK with you.

              Vi Wilson
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 20, 2002
                Hi Vi.....will you be coming to the gathering this year? We'd all love to
                see you!

                Iris Nevins
              • V. Wilson
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 20, 2002
                  Hello Iris

                  Yes, all things being equal, I will be there and it will be lovely to catch
                  up with people I have not seen since SF. I'm looking forward to seeing
                  Jean-Marie's book.

                  Best wishes
                  Vi

                  >Hi Vi.....will you be coming to the gathering this year? We'd all love to
                  >see you!
                  >
                  >Iris Nevins

                • J Dolphin
                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 20, 2002
                    No problem! If you are comfortable to exchange numbers, good. And certainly,
                    if there is a synopsis of your conversation that would be relevant to
                    marblers on the list, by all means post away!
                    Thanks
                    Jill
                    > Since we live quite close, it might be better for us to communicate by
                    > phone, and I will email you privately with my phone number. In my
                    opinion,
                    > the Kraftcolour is no substitute for carrageen. After I speak with you we
                    > can post to the list, anything that may be of help to other marblers. As
                    > list manager, Jill, hope this is OK with you.
                    >
                    > Vi Wilson

                  • sixshort
                    Message 9 of 9 , Apr 28, 2002
                      Hi David, Good to hear of another marbler in Australia, particularly
                      a keen new marbler! I see that Vi Wilson is going to contact you -
                      she is great person and fine teacher - always there to help when you
                      need her. I have tried marbling on cloth with some success using
                      Liquitex and Pebeo, both of which work well. However, as a new
                      marbler I found my general techniques were so poor that I did a
                      weekend workshop in watercolour marbling with Vi to learn more. That
                      was an eye opener! Two years later, I am still marbling on paper and
                      continuing to absorb more about this magical craft. When I get back
                      to marbling on cloth, wood etc., I know the time spent with paper
                      will have been more than worthwhile.
                      Concerning Kraftcolour carragheen, it is suitable for use with cloth,
                      and is used by Melbourne marblers, but it is disastrous for fine
                      marbling on paper. As long as you use only a styus for simple
                      patterning it is o.k., but it can't take combing. When I used it,
                      the pattern formed as a kind of thick jelly on the paper, took many
                      hours to dry, and peeled off in thick layers if washed off too
                      strongly.
                      I live in Brunswick Heads, northern N.S.W., - you can find my phone
                      number in a directory if you would like to contact me. You may be
                      interested to contact Gerhard Veit, a local marbler with oils on
                      fabric who has sold his beautiful marbled cloth for years at local
                      markets. Nigel Sparrow marbles acrylics on cottons professionally
                      and may still live locally - he used to sell finished garments using
                      his cloth. Best regards, Joan Ajala