Liquitex medium

  • david_2777
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 18, 2002
      Hi all, well I've just embarked on this fasinating discovery of
      colour pattern and shape, and am trying to limit my trials by
      hopefully avoiding the 'error' part! (but it's all part of the hair
      pulling fun). Iam interested in printing onto fabric and have just
      started by using Pébéo Marbling paints on a carrageenan size using
      cotton, and the results have been ok, but the colour lacks vibrancy
      and richness. I've read that liquitex paints work well but I wasn't
      sure which viscosity to use (medium or high), as I have been told by
      one marbler who uses high viscosity successfully, and when visiting
      Darhma trading company online who sell marbling products and they
      sell the medium viscosity for fabric, so I suppose they both work
      well. Can anyone share they're experiences with these products?.

      I reside in Australia and have read and presumed that temperature
      play a big part in the shelf life of the carrageenan, which is to be
      expected as an organic substance. But I made up a mixture up and
      within 30 hrs and very little use the solution had lumps throughout.
      Any suggestions?.

      Anyway thanks for this wonderful site because its comforting to know
      that there are people who have walked the same path and can share
      their experiences and knowledge to those of us who encounter hurdles
      to the artistic awe which results from the mastery of this art and
      science.

      Regards

      David
    • Sandra Thomas
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 18, 2002
        Hi David,

        Can you get the paints from Galen Berry? I had good results on fabric with
        these. Try this site:
        http://members.aol.com/marbling/marbling/
        <http://members.aol.com/marbling/marbling/>

        Also the fabric you use has a lot to do with the vibrancy. The smoother and
        higher thread count fabrics seem to show the colors best. I had problems
        with pre colored fabrics. I think the colorfasting process puts a barrier to
        the marbling process. You can always dye your own colors. I had some great
        results from shirting fabric. It was smooth, white and 100% cotton.
        Good luck
        Regarding the lumps: Do you use a blender for your carrageenan? If not or
        not blended long enough could account for lumps.

        sandy