atlas kaghez from Khotan

  • oğuzhan tuğrul
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 16, 2002
      Dear Friends,
      Magical Marbling Mystery Tour - continues and gave birth !

      Left over Ikat silk cloth and waste coccoons melanged with mulberry bark ,
      along with Jane Farmer's rich imagination and contribution,

      became ATLAS KAGHEZ (Ikat silk paper)
      in the history of traditional papermaking in in Khotan.

      I am happy to announce that our donation of marbled works,
      received due attention from the right sources,
      Fine Arts Academy Xinjiang will be organising the Exhibition of donated Marbled Works,
      (some have not given their CVs - life stories,please send me those,
      as they will be useful for the exhibition and the catalogue to be published)
      The Museum of Xinjiang is under construction i.e change of location to exhibit the works.

      As to past presence of marbled works in China,Xinjiang and Kyrgyzstan
      I have asked local authorities to search for materials - this seems to take some time
      due to lack of proper communication and inexplicable reasons,
      please,bear patience with the speed of gathering data.

      The art world in Xinjiang is excited about the re-introduction and/or revival of marbling,
      so the participants of 6th gathering are already assured of a very warm welcome
      next summer on the silk road,

      if not to Arrowmont , I will be able to make it to Washington Folklife festival - if God permit !
      this June 26th I will have more sound information
      for those interested,
      cordially yours,
      oguzhan