Re: [Marbling] Digest Number 330

  • Helen O'Donnell
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 13, 2002
      Where to marble?

      I did it in my laundry room last year, knowing that the place would have to
      be painted before moving. Paint everywhere. Had to paint with Kilz before
      we could paint with latex! Never did get the cabinets clean.

      Now I have a studio and the same problem. My marbling tray is set up on a
      drawing table, perpendicular to the sink and up against the wall. I've
      taped a large sheet of plastic up on the wall behind the table, but I always
      end up with drips on the vinyl floor anyway. I found the key is to get it
      up quickly because, unlike the fabric dyes I use, the paints dry and have to
      be scraped off. The dyes I can work with directly on the floor and not have
      a problem.

      My favorite solution is to just work outside when weather permits.

      I haven't solved the problem of spatters and have decided to live with it
      and paint walls when I leave. If anyone has a solution, I'd love to hear
      it, too!

      Warm regards,
      Helen
      http://www.embroideredsoul.com
      Every life is an embroidered soul.
    • Gail MacKenzie
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 13, 2002
        I started out marbling in the bathroom. It was all ceramic tile and took
        days to clean up when we moved!!

        I was asked about doing tee shirts a few weeks ago. My e-mail program has
        undergone a wipe out and I have lost the contact. I apologize for not
        getting back to you. I hope you will attend the conference in September and
        I will be glad to share all I know. I donĀ¹t have the patience to write it
        out.

        Best wishes, Gail M.

      • sixshort
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 28, 2002
          Hi Helen, We have all had to think about splatter problems and
          cleanups, and I have solved my spattered floor problem by purchasing
          offcuts from a carpet supplier. They are heavy enough to lie flat,
          and I simply shake them and roll them up ready for my next marbling
          session. I marble on an extendable dining room table, and place the
          carpet lengths around it. If you are using acrylics, you can clean
          up with methylated spirits which dissolves acrylic paints - a very
          useful trick told to me by a house painter. Good luck, regards, Joan
          Ajala