marbling space

  • northernlights2n
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 12, 2002
      Hi - I joined this site some time ago - and took the time to read all of the archives before I dove in with questions and input. Both my
      husband and I have a great interest in marbling - he loves marbling paper and my interest has steered toward marbling on wood.
      We both will be attending the marblers conference and are VERY excited about it - especially because we have never met another
      marbler - and are completely self taught. Lots of trial and error - we are not full time marblers. We started marbling around 1994
      - my husband started marbling first and then I got hooked (after he did A LOT of the problem solving).

      Anyway - I have a number of questions and few things to share - but I decided I will throw them out there a few at a time.

      For today:

      Question: We would be interested in hearing how other folks have dealt with the problem of paint spatter for those of you who may
      marble in your living space - (who don't have a designated marbling area where it wouldn't matter where and what surface the
      paints land ). We are in the process of building and have considered where to have a marbling area. Presently, when we marble,
      we set up in our kitchen - but have to put protective cloths everywhere. We are going to have a laundry room - and thought to have
      that as a marbling space - but we would still have to come up with some way to protect the floor, walls, appliances etc. Have any of
      you come up with some good solutions to this problem - something that would be QUICK AND EASY? We are a little stumped on this
      one. We could set up in our basement - but we would have the same problem of not wanting to get paint spatters all over
      everything.

      Comment : In reading the archives - there was some discussion about how to keep carageenan longer. For folks who marble
      intermittently and might have extra freezer space - we discovered that the mixed carageenan freezes really well. When we marble,
      we don't always marble long enough to "deplete the bath" - we have lots of freezer space - so this works well for us. Doesn't seem to
      affect the bath or the process one bit. Just allow time to unthaw and warm up before we marble. Works great!

      That's all for now - Del and Mary-Celine
    • John Ang
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 12, 2002
        Welcome to the list, Del and Mary-Celine

        I do my marbling in my other bathroom. To prevent paint splatter on the
        wall tiles, I hang a large sheet of pvc (make 2 holes on either sides of
        the sheet to hang) on the wall (front facing) with 2 suction cups onto the
        wall.

        Bathroom was chosen as it has a source of water.

        >Question: We would be interested in hearing how other folks have dealt
        >with the problem of paint spatter for those of you who may
        >marble in your living space - (who don't have a designated marbling area
        >where it wouldn't matter where and what surface the
        >paints land ). We are in the process of building and have considered
        >where to have a marbling area. Presently, when we marble,
        >we set up in our kitchen - but have to put protective cloths
        >everywhere. We are going to have a laundry room - and thought to have
        >that as a marbling space - but we would still have to come up with some
        >way to protect the floor, walls, appliances etc. Have any of
        >you come up with some good solutions to this problem - something that
        >would be QUICK AND EASY? We are a little stumped on this
        >one. We could set up in our basement - but we would have the same problem
        >of not wanting to get paint spatters all over
        >everything.
        >
        >~~~~~~~~~~

        :)

        John Ang Cheng Siew
        My Paper Marbling Website: <http://home3.pacific.net.sg/~johnacs>
      • J Dolphin
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 13, 2002
          I used to marble in a basement--right on top of all the flat topped laundry
          appliances--always had drape sheets everywhere...now I am in an apartment
          and in the kitchen. I must admit it is awkward--as the space is much
          smaller. I am still using drapes, but at clean up time, inevitably, I find a
          splatter anyway.
          Jill
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 13, 2002
            Seems we ALL start in kitchens or bathrooms! In 1978 I started in the
            teeniest kitchen you could imagine. Lay newspapers all over the floor, they
            pick up easily and it's damp but clean inderneath when done. Also taped
            newspapers to the walls with masking tape. And don't let anyone eat over
            the tray!