Introduction

  • jdolphin@sprint.ca
    Message 1 of 24 , Jan 24, 2000
      Hello readers! Welcome to a place where marbling paper can be discussed and profiled!
    • J Dolphin
      Message 2 of 24 , Jan 25, 2000
        Welcome everyone!!!!!!!!!
        Allow me to introduce myself to you all--and I hope in turn, you will
        introduce yourselves to me and the other readers on this list.
        I have been marbling paper now about 8 or more years. I learned the
        techniques through a woman hired through the Ottawa Calligraphy Society. She
        did a one day workshop and I was HOOKED from the moment I saw the first bit
        of paint floated on the size.
        I tried to go completely professional with my own marbling products 3
        years ago--and --to make a long story short--well--I learned how to NOT do
        it that way.........in fact, at the back of my mind I want to write a book
        on it, simply titled, "Small Crafts Warning"..........
        But enough from me for now--Please--Tell me your stories!
        Note that this list will allow file uploads--so if you have a scanned
        image you want to profile--go ahead and upload. For the sake of space
        allotment--I think until we know how big the capacity is for graphics--allow
        yourself one now. Perhaps we could come to an agreement to profile artists
        here on a monthly or bi-weekly basis. If you have an url--and want to put in
        a link--there is a spot on the page for that too.
        So--who's here?
        Thanks
        Jill
        Dolphin Grafix
        >Hello readers! Welcome to a place where marbling paper can be discussed and
        profiled!

        >Accurate impartial advice on everything from laptops to table saws.

        >Shortcut URL to this page:

      • J Dolphin
        Message 3 of 24 , Jan 25, 2000
          Hello to Iris--glad to see you have joined in here. I look forward to
          hearing from you!
          For readers here who are just getting started in marbling--check out the
          link Iris has in the links section.
          And hello to John over in Singapore. I have put your page in the links
          section, too. Again, hope readers here will enjoy and use the resources you
          have displayed on your website!
          Thanks
          Jill
        • iris nevins
          Message 4 of 24 , Jan 25, 2000
            What is the "small crafts warning" and what were your products? Maybe you
            just didn't find the right outlets? There is a market for marbling!

            Just curious....and thanks for starting this list! I have been marbling for
            22 years and it's great to have a central meeting place on the web.

            Iris Nevins
          • J Dolphin
            Message 5 of 24 , Jan 25, 2000
              Small Crafts Warning was intentionally a joke started by a painter I met on
              an art tour--She was comparing how if it could go wrong--it
              had--anyway--just playing on the words about small boats in high water--with
              running a small crafts business.
              I did the "small crafts" fairs here in the Ottawa region, and no doubt I
              was in the wrong place at the wrong time more often than not. I produced
              bookmarks, laminated tags, greeting cards, liners for mugs, gift tags. I
              THOUGHT I had a decent display laid out--but thinking back on it--it
              obviously could have been improved. I spent a lot of time having people
              admiring what I did--but--minimal in sales. I also spent a fair bit of time
              Explaining what I did--and of course--recognize now that my marketing
              approach left much to be desired.
              As I know you are working in marbling perhaps you wouldn't mind telling
              the readers here what your work days are like--some of the highs and some of
              the lows. I for one would appreciate hearing more.
              Thanks
              Jill

              >From: iris nevins <IrisNevins@...>
              >
              >What is the "small crafts warning" and what were your products? Maybe you
              >just didn't find the right outlets? There is a market for marbling!
              >
              >Just curious....and thanks for starting this list! I have been marbling for
              >22 years and it's great to have a central meeting place on the web.
              >
              >Iris Nevins

              >FREE ADVICE FROM REAL PEOPLE! Xpertsite has thousands of experts who
              >are willing to answer your questions for FREE. Go to Xpertsite today
              >and put your mind to rest.

              >Shortcut URL to this page:

            • iris nevins
              Message 6 of 24 , Jan 25, 2000
                All I can say is if you love it, bear with the bad shows for a while
                longer. You never know who you may meet. I built my mail order busines by
                doing every show I could concievably drive to (in this case between Boston
                and Washington DC) for many, many years, met many people who ended up
                ordering through the mail.

                Luckily, this was in the late 70's and into the late 80's, when people were
                spending lots of money and loved this "new" craft called marbling, so the
                timing was definitely better. There also were not too many marblers around.
                But it was a hard push getting out and selling.

                Until '82 or so, I kept a part time job as well. The 80's and early 90's
                were phenomenal times for working marblers....it was amazing to find many
                of us were actually making quite a good annual income at it. Then things
                slowed down, I believe for all of us. Marbling, with the general public,
                can be kind of faddish and it has its ups and downs. Over the course of a
                couple of years many marblers were working way less. Personally, about half
                my work dwindled away......but I was glad, it was too much work.

                Through the 80's and early 90's, I felt like a "marbling machine". I had to
                have an assistant just to keep up, and was churning out up to 300 sheets a
                week, and some fabrics from time to time. Not to mention writing the
                marbling manuals, articles for Ink & Gall, and teaching occassionally. Now
                I do way less, probably averaging 400-600 sheets per month, plus I took on
                Decorative Papers, Faith Harrison's marbling supply company several years
                ago. I have other interests I devote some time to, now that there is a
                little time. I am also a Classical (as in ancient styles), Medieval, and
                occassionally modern jeweler.

                My work week usually goes like so: Monday & Tuesday tend to be the marbling
                days, with the rest of the week intermingled with my "real life" since I
                work at home now, consists of pre-aluming papers for the next week's
                orders, making what paints are low, shipping paper orders, packing paint
                orders, and doing the boring bookkeeping, paperwork etc.

                Working as a marbler isn't all fun. It's pretty high stress as far as jobs
                go....I do a fair amount of small press work, which means matching hundreds
                of papers very closely, or matching early papers (or trying as best as one
                can), and sometimes the most nerve-wracking can be trying to match one's
                own papers from a previous marbling session, as I'm sure you all
                know....and that is the most embarrassing! People who do not marble don't
                get this at all and think it should be easy.

                So hopefully that should answer the question....how do other people's
                marbling lives go, or fit into the rest of their life?

                Best,
                Iris Nevins
              • JK
                Message 7 of 24 , Jan 26, 2000
                  Located in North Eastern Oregon and interest in everything to do with
                  paper and the paper arts. Also bookbinding and a number of other crafts.
                  Very new to Marbling, I am endeavoring to learn more. Thank you for a
                  marbling site. Jeannie
                • johnacs@pacific.net.sg
                  Message 8 of 24 , Jan 26, 2000
                    Greetings list members. I'm John Ang from Singapore. I'm very glad that this list is formed so that we can share our experience of
                    marbling. My interest in marbling started when I bought a book titled "Paper Pleasures" by Faith Shannon.
                    A chapter was devoted to marbling. My initial attempts at marbling did not yield satisfactory results, so I shelfed this creft.
                    A holiday trip to Italy 3 years ago brought me into contact with marbling again. I was fortunate to meet a marbler in Venice who gave me a personal demonstration.
                    From that day onwards, I was hooked. I scoure the Internet, bookstores, library for marbling information.
                    Whenever I have time, I will do marbling. That could mean sometimes into the wee hours of morning.
                    I'm still improving on my techniques. Please visit my website <http://home3.pacific.net.sg/~johnacs>.
                    I will be adding more information.

                    Regards
                  • Diane M. Wood
                    Message 9 of 24 , Jan 28, 2000
                      Hi everyone,

                      I'm Sissy. I was so delighted to see an announcement about this marbling
                      group on another list I'm on. From the first post put out by Jill on this
                      list, I realized I had found a jewel of a list. I love paper arts of all
                      kinds. I make books, do art journaling, and create collages, cards, boxes,
                      and so forth. Anything that can be covered is fair game.

                      I'm not an experienced marbler, but want to be. Probably 8 years ago I took
                      a one day class in marbling fabric (I was into quilting at the time). Then
                      this past year I ordered a marbling kit and played with it some. I haven't
                      been real satisfied with my results. I also have done a little suminigashi
                      marbling. I hope to one day take a class from someone like Iris. I love
                      adding marbled papers to my books and other creations.

                      I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone and learning from all of
                      you.

                      Sissy
                    • J Dolphin
                      Message 10 of 24 , Jan 28, 2000
                        Nice to meet ya Sissy!
                        Speaking of suminigashi--who here on the list does this type of marbling
                        more?
                      • DKMaurer1@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 24 , Jan 29, 2000
                          Hello -- I'm Diane Maurer-Mathison. I've been marbling, teaching workshops,
                          selling marbling supplies and writing about paper art for about 20 years.
                          (The last two books were PAPER ART and THE ULTIMATE MARBLING HANDBOOK.) I do
                          mostly traditional watercolor and suminagashi marbling, but often explore
                          paste papers, sometimes marbling over them to create special papers for
                          collage. Its great to be part of the community --it gets lonely here in rural
                          Pennsylvania!
                        • J Dolphin
                          Message 12 of 24 , Jan 29, 2000
                            Now there's something! Marbling OVER a paste paper---if you have a file to
                            upload to let us see what you mean--please feel free to do this. I will
                            ask--your paste papers are themselves without texture? The paste papers I
                            see here around Ottawa always seem to have paint very thickly
                            applied--ridging and such--so--I am curious--if your papers are like
                            that--the actual marbling on Top of the paper, sinking into the valleys of
                            the page created with thick paint edges--what does that end up looking like?
                            Thaks
                            Jill

                          • Bagladyann@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 24 , Jan 29, 2000
                              Boy, I am really intimated about introducing myself after all these
                              professionals on this list. I have always been intrigued with marbling. I had
                              bought a kit a long time ago and so many things has prevent me from doing
                              this. But at the ripe old age of 61 I seem to be on an art quest. I would
                              like to learn how to do this, just for my personal use. I did take a class
                              years ago and loved it. I like the idea of paste paper and then marble over
                              it. As for me I am a widow of 22 years, raised 4 kids and am now just finding
                              the time for me. Wont be much of an asset for this list, but I am interested.
                              Hope you won't mind a lurker. Hugs & Sunshine Mikki
                            • evibol@hotmail.com
                              Message 14 of 24 , Jan 29, 2000
                                Hi everyone,
                                My name is Evi Parissi. I am Greek and live in Piraeus near Athens.
                                I am really thrilled with the creation of this list, which is growing every day.
                                Thank you Jill for taking the initiative.
                                I am an amateur marbler and a craftsperson. I first became acquainted with
                                a very simple kind of marbling in England at a craft fair. A woman was
                                sprinkling oil paints in a tank filled with water, she was swirling the paints
                                with a stylus letting chance create beautiful random designs on a piece of
                                cloth. At the time I didn't know anything about marbling and it took many years
                                to accidentally come across a book called "Decorative Marbling" in a bookstore
                                in Athens to learn a bit more about this fascinating craft. Anyway, it took me
                                two more years to find more authoritative books to teach myself. Not being able
                                to get the right ingredients in Athens (carrageenan, alum, ox gall) my first
                                papers were a real mess. I was very frustrated but hooked, so I continued
                                searching the Internet, asking for advice and help. Norma Rubovits, a very
                                talented marbler answered a desperate message I had posted in some page and we
                                became cyber friends. When she gave me the address of Colophon book arts supply,
                                and I bought the right ingredients, I created the first presentable papers. Soon
                                I was able to produce beautiful papers. I don't have a studio and every time I
                                marble I turn my kitchen into an unbelievable mess, so I don't marble as often
                                as I would like. In September I had my first child, a baby boy, and marbling is
                                a distant dream. I don't know when I'll be able to go back to the tank but
                                eventually I will.
                                Evi
                              • J Dolphin
                                Message 15 of 24 , Jan 29, 2000
                                  Of COURSE you are an an asset to this list!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Maybe with this
                                  list--you are going to get the exact opportunity you seek to do hands on
                                  marbling. And THAT will be terrific!!!!!
                                  Jill

                                  >From: Bagladyann@...
                                  Wont be much of an asset for this list, but I am interested.
                                  >Hope you won't mind a lurker. Hugs & Sunshine Mikki

                                • G
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Jan 29, 2000
                                    Hi, I am Georgie McNeese and I haven't tried marbling, but it sounds
                                    absolutely fascinating. I am looking forward to learning from all of
                                    you. Thanks Jill for the list. It looks like it's going to be very
                                    popular.

                                    evibol@... wrote:

                                    > From: evibol@...
                                    >
                                    > Hi everyone,
                                    > My name is Evi Parissi. I am Greek and live in Piraeus near Athens.
                                    > I am really thrilled with the creation of this list, which is growing every day.
                                    > Thank you Jill for taking the initiative.
                                    > I am an amateur marbler and a craftsperson. I first became acquainted with
                                    > a very simple kind of marbling in England at a craft fair. A woman was
                                    > sprinkling oil paints in a tank filled with water, she was swirling the paints
                                    > with a stylus letting chance create beautiful random designs on a piece of
                                    > cloth. At the time I didn't know anything about marbling and it took many years
                                    > to accidentally come across a book called "Decorative Marbling" in a bookstore
                                    > in Athens to learn a bit more about this fascinating craft. Anyway, it took me
                                    > two more years to find more authoritative books to teach myself. Not being able
                                    > to get the right ingredients in Athens (carrageenan, alum, ox gall) my first
                                    > papers were a real mess. I was very frustrated but hooked, so I continued
                                    > searching the Internet, asking for advice and help. Norma Rubovits, a very
                                    > talented marbler answered a desperate message I had posted in some page and we
                                    > became cyber friends. When she gave me the address of Colophon book arts supply,
                                    > and I bought the right ingredients, I created the first presentable papers. Soon
                                    > I was able to produce beautiful papers. I don't have a studio and every time I
                                    > marble I turn my kitchen into an unbelievable mess, so I don't marble as often
                                    > as I would like. In September I had my first child, a baby boy, and marbling is
                                    > a distant dream. I don't know when I'll be able to go back to the tank but
                                    > eventually I will.
                                    > Evi

                                    > Get what you deserve with NextCard Visa. ZERO. Rates as low as 0.0
                                    > percent Intro APR, online balance transfers, Rewards Points, no hidden
                                    > fees, and much more. Get NextCard today and get the credit you deserve.
                                    > Apply now! Get your NextCard Visa at

                                    > Shortcut URL to this page:

                                    Adel Ga Online
                                    Webmeistress
                                    http://www.adelga.com
                                    Get Paid for surfing the web click here:
                                    http://alladvantage.com/go.asp?refid=EFW-151
                                    Be sure to use ID# EFW-151
                                  • ElizabethOrme
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Mar 31, 2000
                                      Hello to everyone on the list.

                                      My housband and J have created a web site regarding marbled paper:

                                      Venice Paper is a sort of brand name we believe appropriate to pay tribute to an Ebru Master, Alberto Valese, located in Venice who kindly showed us his way of marbling.
                                      We are not professionals and we are located in Italy.
                                      Our interest in decorated paper started in an old bookbinding shop where, for the first time, we saw woodengraved decorated paper ( xilography) and the traditional marbled ones.
                                      Since then we read many books among which we may suggest:

                                      Le papier maebré son histoire e sa fabrication     Doizy  Ipert

                                      Marbling Paper     Anne Chamber

                                      Marbled Paper   Richard J. Wolf

                                      Varieties of Spanish Marbling    Iris Nevins

                                      Since then we have lwasted a lot of paper, ox gall and colors.
                                      Starting off with caragheen moss, worked in the old way, we have ended up using methilcellulosa and from the beginning we have been using goeche: Maimeri and Lukas.
                                      We like doing spanish very much.
                                      The reference model was  " New Jersey Ripple" by Iris Nevins in her book " Variety of.....

                                      So thanks Jill for your invitation, we are now on the list.
                                    • John Ang Cheng Siew
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Mar 31, 2000
                                        Welcome to the list.

                                        I was also fortunate to have met Mr Valese in Venice. We found his shop
                                        while holidaying there. At that time I only had a passing interest in
                                        marbling. We struck a conversation about his work and he was kind enough to
                                        invite my wife and I to his studio where he demostrated marbling to us. He
                                        did a piece of Italian vien and on that he did some flower design. I got to
                                        keep that marbled paper. From that time onwards I found great interest in
                                        marbling.

                                        I believe Alberto using tragacanth gum for his size and he doesn't alum his
                                        paper. I forgot to ask him what type of paint he uses. Do you have any idea?

                                        Mr Valese shop is at Venice, S.Marco - Campo S. stefano 3471
                                        P.S. He has a pet dog call sumi.

                                        At 05:09 PM 31-03-2000 +0200, you wrote:
                                        > Hello to everyone on the list. My housband and J have created a web
                                        >site regarding marbled paper: www.lemarcheonline.net/venicepaper
                                        >Venice Paper is a sort of brand name we believe appropriate to pay tribute
                                        >to an Ebru Master, Alberto Valese, located in Venice who kindly showed us
                                        >his way of marbling.
                                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                                        .
                                        .-P

                                        John Ang Cheng Siew
                                        My Paper Marbling Website: <home3.pacific.net.sg/~johnacs>
                                      • carylhanc@aol.com
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Apr 9 12:47 PM
                                          Hi!
                                          I have been lurking for a couple of weeks - thanks to Diane Maurer for
                                          giving me the address! And thanks to all for their generous sharing of
                                          information. The 2002 date is on my calendar! I don't remember how I
                                          learned to marble - probably self taught, then a *very* basic "Intro to
                                          Marbling" class got added to the list of other classes I was teaching at the
                                          time - machine embroidery, quilting, embellishment. Each time I teach, I
                                          realize how much I don't know, and I am in total awe of the folks who do
                                          production marbling. I wish I had time for more marbling, and space for a
                                          permament set up. My goals are to do more marbling and work to incorporate
                                          that fabric with other commercial fabrics into my wearable art. I think it
                                          is great fun to add stitching to bring out some of the lines of the marbling
                                          design. Also, I am interested in figuring out some sort of gizwhiz so that I
                                          can put, say 36" scarves on the medium without a second pair of human hands.
                                          Caryl Hancock, Indianapolis
                                          carylhanc@...
                                        • D. Guffey
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Apr 9 2:17 PM
                                            Also, I am interested in figuring out some sort of gizwhiz so that I
                                            >can put, say 36" scarves on the medium without a second pair of human hands.
                                            >Caryl Hancock, Indianapolis
                                            >carylhanc@...

                                            Hi Caryl,

                                            Although I've never done a scarf as wide as 36" I think you could
                                            incorporate a method I found to do long scarfs that were too long to hold at
                                            both ends. Get a very, very thin flexible rod (one that will bend a bit
                                            without breaking.) The rod should be slightly longer than the width of the
                                            scarf (36"), insert a needle at each end (hammer in the needle carefully as
                                            to not break off the eye, the larger the needle the better). Assuming your
                                            scarfs are pre-hemmed, bend the rod and stretch the scarf between the two
                                            needles. The tension of the needle at the hem edge will hold the scarf
                                            taut. Do this for opposite end of the scarf. Now hold up the scarf by the
                                            two rods, it will dip in the middle, let the middle drop down on the
                                            marbling tank (it somewhat anchors it in place) and then gently lower the
                                            two edges with the rods.

                                            This explanation is perfectly clear in my mind, I just hope I've described
                                            it enough to make sense. If not, e-mail me with what isn't clear and I'll
                                            try to re-describe it.

                                            Good luck,

                                            d.guffey
                                          • D. Guffey
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Apr 16 8:00 PM
                                              At 07:31 PM 4/16/00 EDT, you wrote:
                                              >Hi, D. Guffey!
                                              >Thanks for the explanation of your device. I sort of have the picture.... I
                                              >was driving from Indy to Chicago last week for a stitching workshop, and
                                              >figured out an alternative - knot four threads, and stitch them through the
                                              >corners of the scarf. Clip the ends of the threads in bankers clips which
                                              >are attached to a long (wider than the scarf) board. That way I will have
                                              >control of the four corners. (The dog kept dropping her corner - <VBG>).
                                              >then, after the scarf is safely down on the size, I can unclip the threads,
                                              >and pull them out after rinsing. What do you think? I haven't had time to
                                              >try it yet - just got home yesterday.
                                              >Thanks for writing!
                                              >Caryl Hancock, Indy

                                              Hi Caryl,

                                              One of the advantages of marbling with silk is how smoothly it goes down on
                                              the size, with very little chances of air bubbles that you get with paper.
                                              One disadvantage I see to attaching the silk to a hard board is that you
                                              will increase your chances of getting air bubbles (voids) on your design.
                                              By keeping the silk drapped, dropping it to the center first and then laying
                                              down the ends, you have less of a chance of errors. But then again, nothing
                                              ventured, nothing gained.

                                              Best of luck in your adventures,

                                              d.guffey
                                            • J Dolphin
                                              Message 22 of 24 , May 2, 2002
                                                Wow! Onelist was THIS email list at one point! They got bought out and
                                                taken over by Yahoo--which is why we're all here...............I
                                                started/opened a marbling forum at Delphi.com, as an alternate place to
                                                post. I was concerned that at some point Yahoo could flatten This email
                                                list--and a back-up would be handy. The Delphi site should still be
                                                operating--and has a much different 'face' in which to post. I think in some
                                                respects it is a better set-up--as threads can be grouped and information
                                                isolated...........Delphi however is about to go 'nova' in some
                                                way--requesting fees. It has not been completely instituted--so the marbling
                                                site I opened there has not been flattened--and remains free to use.
                                                To get to the marbling site at Delphi, this is the corrected link:
                                                http://www.delphiforums.com/
                                                They do the usual sign in--blah-blah-blah sign up bit. Once you get past
                                                That---you need to go here:
                                                http://forums.delphiforums.com/marbling/start
                                                Anyone from here is welcome to post there and vice versa.
                                                Thanks
                                                Jill

                                                > Dear Jill, I have just stumbled across Message 1074 on the Onelist
                                                > site - is this the website I tried unsuccessfully to get into last
                                                > year - so far I see the notices are dated in the early 2000's. The
                                                > site I joined and then coudn't get any replies from was
                                                > www.delphi.com/marbling. I would like to contribute if I can access
                                                > it properly . . . . Joan Ajala---

                                              • sixshort
                                                  Message 24 of 24 , May 4, 2002
                                                    -Hi Jill, I signed into the www.delphiforums.com - no problem. How
                                                    do you get into the next bit -
                                                    forums.delphiforums.com/marbling/start? I could find no links to
                                                    that. I have been using a computer for only six months, and there
                                                    are many gaps in my knowledge . . . . it is probably the simplest
                                                    thing and blindingly obvious! Joan Ajala--