7466Re: Re: [Marbling] About to Give Up On Paint!

    May 17, 2014
      I use plain old low brow Folk Art or Ceramcoat when I do acrylic for fabric. I can't say all the colors work, but I find a basic red, yellow blue, black and white, and mix the rest of the colors from them. If they seem thick in the bottle I dilute with a little plain old hard tap water from my well, and I use squeeze bottles to apply paint. I use no dispersant usually, but find the order the paints like to be in that particular day. It can change. If I need to adjust any of the colors for spreading width I may use a drop of Photo-Flo in a color. I do this on a carrageenan size made with very hard tap water (I am NOT recommending Hard water, but just that it is simpler to use what one has. I actually find my water works better than distilled. I only use distilled when I make paints for sale, and I only make watercolors). The metallics from Ceramcoat or Folk Art (or is it Folk Craft...I am getting confused...the cheap stuff at the big craft stores anyway) have also worked for me quite well, I think the Folk Art brand was better. I am not big on metallics though so rarely use them.

      If your size is too thick, this too can make the paints sink... make sure is is not too thick. I don't mean to belittle the other brands out there, I am sure they are fine. I just started at this in 1978 when the choices were the cheap junk and Tube Liquitex pretty much. I didn't like the Liquitex as much as the cheaper brands. There were no additives or thinners for marbling with acrylics back then, I just adapted to whatever, and these paints worked pretty well, so I still use them, though I primarily do historic style papers and use "antique" style paints I make to get the old world look. I don't marble fabric with acrylic as much as in the past, but continue to use this cheap junky paint, which holds up quite well after over 30 years on the scarves. No fading whatsoever. You might want to get a few colors to test whether is it a paint problem or a size problem perhaps. I think they are about 88 cents a bottle if you have an A.C. Moore near you.

      Marbling can be very very frustrating!

      IrisNevins
      www.marblingpaper.com

      On 05/17/14, Deluwiel Xox deluwiel1209@... [Marbling]<Marbling@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      oh Michelle - I'm so sorry you're having such trouble! Not being able to stand there and really see what's going on it's hard to say. My only suggestion right off the top of my head is to start with just a couple of colors trying different dilutions until you get those the way they need to be. That might give you a better guideline to know how to tackle the other colors.

      All I use is distilled water with Golden, Jacquard, the Spectralite colors, as well as the DecoArt So-Soft paints and mix to about the consistency of what I'd use for a wash to cover a canvas. I've had a number of the Jacquard airbrush colors from Dharma float nicely right out of the bottle. I don't use the AFR with my paints at all, just water. Obviously, make sure the paints are mixed really, really well. The only other thing that I can come up with off the top of my head is to check the thickness of your size. Maybe it's not the paints at all. If the size is too thick you might not get the spread though I'm not sure that the paint would sink in that case (anybody else confirm or deny?).

      Metallics can be very fussy. The Golden gold and silver are the two that I've found to work the very best. Jacquard airbrush metallics (they have metallic blue, red, and yellow that have some flecks of sparkle and are really pretty along with a couple of shades of gold, silver and copper) need some playing around with. Actually the copper I have never been able to get to float, even with the AFR.

      Not diluting the paint as much I don't think is going to make your colors any darker. As you know, the first couple of colors you put down will spread the most; the next layers will 'push' those colors a bit, compressing them and making them darker; the more paint you lay down the more vivid the colors will be and you'll get much brighter, crisper patterns. (by the way: this is all based on my experience with fabric marbling).

      Good luck!

      Deb
    • Show all 9 messages in this topic