7434Re: [Marbling] things to sell

  • Michelle Herren
    Apr 23, 2014
      Thanks for the advice. I saw a YouTube video where someone marbled an unglazed ceramic item.  If I did that, how would I seal the paint on and make a glossy top coat?

      I don't have a kiln, so I can't bake paints into ceramic mugs. Again, I could try an unglazed mug??

      How do you copyright your pieces so that no one steals them?

      Also, I've read a bit about t-shirts. You need to put a piece of cardboard in the shirt to keep it flat, right?  Then alum the shirt first and lightly wring out the shirt and do you let it get a little dry, or do you dip it in the size right away?  And you do on side of the shirt at a time, right? And then you gently wring out the size and throw it in the dryer to heat set?  I mix my paints with GAC 900, so I think I'm ok there.

      Michelle

      On Apr 23, 2014, at 9:51 AM, John Goode <watermarktile@...> wrote:

      try ceramics like tiles or three d items like coffee cups
      fire them in a kiln make the paint melt into the clay!
      or paper wise do bookmarks post its adverts
      cotton wise do t shirts...shorts fannypacks make fabric then sew up items
      its just the beginning......
      dont forget to copyright your works so you done end up on a kleenex box with no pay!
      enjoy!
      John Goode

      On Tue, Apr 22, 2014 at 9:55 PM, Sue Cole <akartisan@...> wrote:

      cards and silk scarves are always good, and after you get a bit better, you can sell the paper itself.  You could also do things like wrap bangle bracelets with the paper and varnish it.  Bookcovers for pamphlet type books or booklets are good also, because they are quicker to make and you can sell them for a lower pricepoint.

      It's too work intensive for me, but a firend of mine cuts up the papers and makes paper mosaics out of them by stickiing them to the sticky side of clear laminating paper, so the marbling faces out of course, then attaches that o wooden things like picture frames and mirror frames.

      Wood is trickier because you only have one shot at it and if you mess it up, you have to sand the wood and re-prep it.

      Anyone else?
      Sue

    • Show all 5 messages in this topic