7298Re: [Marbling] Re: Vat size

    Dec 9, 2013
      These trays are at Colophon Book Arts too, they make them in fact.
      Iris Nevins
      www.marblingpaper.com

      On 12/09/13, George Reynolds<georger1998@...> wrote:

      Brian
      Oops it's not Galen Berry its Talas that has the trays I mentioned:
      http://apps.webcreate.com/ecom/catalog/product_specific.cfm?ClientID=15&ProductID=18045

      As to the depth of rakes and combs lets make a distinction between the two. I don't believe there is a standard definition but let's say a rake is something with the teeth more than 1/2 inch apart an a comb has teeth less than 1/2 inch apart. My experience is that the dynamics of the fluid surface can be different between the two as they are passed through the fluid. The effect of a rake probably does not depend that much on the depth but for a comb especially as the teeth are less than 1/4 inch, a standing wave can be set up on the surface depending on how fast you are going and the depth of the comb. Also a comb really needs to go flush from side to side or fluid (paint) can swirl around the ends and ruin everything. So I setup my rakes and combs so that they rest on the side of the tray so that the teeth are always an 1/8th inch off the bottom no matter what the depth of the bath.

      My point about iterative design was just that if you lay out all the process steps involved in marbling, adding some more fluid to the bath is way down the list of steps to automate. You have much bigger fish to fry. For example if you figure it a way to get the paper out of the bath, rinsed and the surface skimmed and ready for the next go - you just got my attention.
      George
    • Show all 10 messages in this topic