7265RE: Marbling paper question

  • jemiljan
    Nov 23, 2013

      To my knowledge, no one sells branch brushes in the US. There are now some Turkish suppliers online like ayanebru.com sell the horsehair ('at kılı' in Turkish). You have to get your own branches, typically acquired when the bushes are pruned in the early spring.

      Also note that while the idea that using rose branches for brush handles is commonly considered to be 'traditional' by artists in Turkey today, this practice is not in any way mentioned in either of the two Ottoman Turkish technical accounts from the 17th and 18th centuries. Much of what constitutes 'tradition' in Turkey today really dates to the late 19th and 20th century. This is especially true of the contemporary Turkish floral designs.

      While there are earlier more rudimentary styles, the
      predominant contemporary floral modes commonly seen today, such as the ubiquitous tulip, were first developed by master Necmeddin Okyay at some point in the 1920's. He was also apparently an avid rose gardener, who reputedly cultivated some 200 different varieties. There are several photographs of him holding one of his impressively large (prize-winning?) roses, one of which was reproduced on the front cover of a commemorative leaflet produced for his funeral after he died in 1976.

      For this reason, I strongly suspect that it was he who introduced this 'tradition' of using rose branches for brush handles for marbling. By all accounts, he was a very clever and inventive person, and w
      hile I can't really say for certain one way or another, he may have simply thought up a practical use for what must have been a considerable number of branches after pruning his garden in the spring.

      I've also heard some say that the use of rose branches as brush handles resists mold growth, but that's not really true. Avid rose gardeners will tell you that live roses are in no way immune to mold, so why should the dried branches be? The use of rose branches for brushes may seem to lend a certain aura or mystique to the Turkish approach to marbling, there is neither evidence it has some sort of long historical precedent, nor does it really deter mold. That said, the branches are light and flexible, and have a "springiness" about them than you don't have if you use, say, a wooden dowel rod as a handle.

      Best of luck,

      Jake Benson

      ---In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, <cecile.evers@...> wrote:

      Dear all,

      As a couple-month old marbler, I've been looking around on the net and in stores for larger format marbling paper. A friend has recommended 28g sheets of mulberry paper by "Black Ink" but I've had no success in finding them. Can anyone point me in the right direction or perhaps suggest other larger format paper brands?

      Might anyone suggest, too, where to buy Turkish-style rose branch brushes in the U.S.?

      Many thanks in advance,
    • Show all 9 messages in this topic