7264RE: Tragacanth size paint

  • jemiljan
    Nov 23, 2013

       Dear "ui9ojiopk"  (You didn't give your name),

      What kind of gall are you using? Is it what Windsor & Newton sells? If so, don't waste your time. If you're in the US, get some from a marbling supplier like Diane Mauer, Iris Nevins, Garrett Dixon, Colophon Book Arts Supply, or Talas. What they sell is a lot more concentrated and typically preserved in alcohol. In Turkey, the gall that they use is prepared in manner similar to how Turkish coffee is made, which is more concentrated. In my experience, marbling on tragacanth requires a bit more surfactant than when marbling on carrageenan size.

      As far as making your own paints from pigments, I wouldn't describe it as 'easier' so much as more 'reliable'.

      Best of luck,

      Jake Benson

      ---In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, <ui9ojiopk@...> wrote:

      I've been trying to get some watercolor paints to work on a tragacanth size and I cant seem to get the paint to spread correctly no matter how much ox gall I add. It floats but it kind of spreads into a vein like look. They are winsor and newton designers gouache paints and i first add enough water to make it the consistency of skim milk. I think i have to add a binder like gum arabic to the paint to fix it but I'm not sure. I would also like to know if maybe mixing paint right from pigments would be easier than using a brand of watercolor paint in the sense that you would know exactly what the paint contains and would be able to fix it easier.
    • Show all 3 messages in this topic