7226Re: dyeing on silk

  • George Reynolds
    Oct 13, 2013
      Thanks for the great info on Dyeing. For those of you out there in Marbling Land who have not tried pre dyed scarves (or fabric in general) its well worth experimenting with because it expands the possible color palette beyond anything I have been able to achieve with white scarves. The main reason is that different acrylic paints behave very differently on top of a background color. Some can blend with the background color to produce surprising rich colors. Some however are essentially opaque and so jump out in very interesting ways. Titanium White for example is opaque so is not diluted by the background color and so can provide a beautiful high-lite to an interesting design. Pyrole Red also is fairly opaque. Other colors vary in their "transparency" so the result can be very surprising and I don't claim to have learned how to control this in any consistent way. All this requires some trial and error so try to do some experiments on paper before trying it on silk. Fair warning though: silk behaves differently than paper so the paper results will only be a hint. Take the dive and be ready to donate some scarves to your local craft fair seconds sale.

      To see some examples you can go to the scarf section of my website

      www.suspensions-design.com

      It's not exactly up to date but you will get the idea.
      George
    • Show all 4 messages in this topic