      Sent: Sunday, September 15, 2013 2:16 AM
      Subject: [Marbling] marbling on silk advice please

      Hello everyone,

      I have been marbling for many years on paper and on silk. I have one problem that I am looking for help with. When marbling on silk it bothers me that the design is very much a one sided print. When making fine silk scarves I would like the design to show on both sides. I am based in Wales, U.K. and use carrageen sea weed for my bath. I have tried many different types of silk paint over the years, some are better than others but all give the 'one sided print'. I also find that marbling affects the handle and lustre of the silk, this problem is worse when using acrylics such as Golden fluid which give a lovely bright image but make the silk dull and stiff. Would methyl cellulose be the answer? I am not sure about availability in the U.K.

      If using ready rolled scarves the hem does not marble well and leaves an ugly white border on the scarf. I have tried running my finger around the edge of the scarf as it lies on the bath, this is only partly successful.

      Finally, I worry about the durability of the design. I fix by ironing or sometimes in the oven. When I read of people washing their silk in a machine, I just wonder how they don't just wash the marbling right off. I also find that machine washing silk, before or after marbling leaves permanent creases.

      I would be very grateful for any suggestions.

      Thanks,

      Jude

    • Show all 10 messages in this topic