7171got a book in the mail....

  • Esdehority
    Jun 29, 2013
      So I am a beginning marbler. I am making progress, but each paper or piece of fabric that isn't a disaster is precious, precious... I have used my new papers for covers and endpapers for three books, and the fabrics are still pinned up just to be admired.

      I had checked out from the library two of Iris Nevins' books, and found them valuable and decided to purchase copies of my own through Amazon. One was used, from a regular used book seller, but the other came directly from Ms. Nevins herself.

      (please forgive the caps, they are intentional)

      THE BOOK CAME IN THE MAIL WRAPPED IN GORGEOUS HAND MARBLED PAPER!!!!

      Ms. Nevins, took a BIG piece of multicolored marbled paper (I am still limited to 9 by 15 inch sheets that fit in my cookie pan) and wrapped the book in it, put tape on it (yes, put packing tape RIGHT ON THE MARBLING!!!) , put the address on it....

      I sliced the edge as carefully as I could, to preserve every inch of paper that didn't have writing taped to it...

      Several thoughts as I admire this post packaging that now sits on my coffee table
      1. Iris Nevins is an amazing artist
      2. What a gift to all the post office folks, to send such a pretty parcel through the mail!
      3. I just can't imagine marbled paper being such an expendable commodity that I could wrap stuff in it, but I guess if I keep up my practicing, I will eventually have enough pieces not intended for a particular project that I could use them for other things...

      still amazed at this package.... I wonder if there's any way I could safely get the packing tape off to salvage even more of the paper?????

      Elizabeth in NC
      (Charlotte, in response to an email from another North Carolinian... I would be happy to wander over to Asheville/Black Mountain to get together... )