      From: Robin Heyeck <heyeck@...>
      To: Marbling <Marbling@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Fri, Jun 28, 2013 12:49 pm
      Subject: Re: [Marbling] introduction, question

      Dear Elsje,

      I marbled suminagashi on silk for one of the limited edition books I printed and published: Suminagashi-zome. I used the same high quality sumi ink that I use on paper and was careful not to swish the wet cloth around too much when I rinsed it in a bucket of clear water. The suminagashi lines were silver and very beautiful. If you want black lines, though, I can't help you.

      It's true that suminagashi was used on clothing in Japan. Tokutaro Yagi, author of Suminagashi-zome, talks about making the marbled cloth for yakatas and umbrellas among other items. He was a commercial marbler at the beginning of the twentieth century. There's a copy of Suminagash-zome in the national library in The Hague.

      Good luck,
      Robin Heyeck