      From: Marbling@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Marbling@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf
      Of Robin Heyeck
      Sent: Friday, June 28, 2013 6:44 PM
      To: Marbling@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [Marbling] introduction, question

      Dear Elsje,

      I marbled suminagashi on silk for one of the limited edition books I printed
      and published: Suminagashi-zome. I used the same high quality sumi ink that
      I use on paper and was careful not to swish the wet cloth around too much
      when I rinsed it in a bucket of clear water. The suminagashi lines were
      silver and very beautiful. If you want black lines, though, I can't help
      you.

      It's true that suminagashi was used on clothing in Japan. Tokutaro Yagi,
      author of Suminagashi-zome, talks about making the marbled cloth for yakatas
      and umbrellas among other items. He was a commercial marbler at the
      beginning of the twentieth century. There's a copy of Suminagash-zome in the
      national library in The Hague.

      Good luck,
      Robin Heyeck