7154Advice for a newbie....

  • Kelly
    Jun 27, 2013
      Hello,

      I'm brand new to marbling. I've spent the last month reading online, trying different things and spending WAY too much money on trial and error learning! So far the only thing I know for sure is that this is the most "organic" and uncontrollable art form I've ever experienced. Which is both wonderful and frustrating! Now that I'm starting to get some results that I like it's mostly wonderful though.

      There is one point I'm still stuck on though and I was hoping someone could give me some advice. The thing that inspired me to start marbling was this one woman's work. I accidentally ran across a photo of her work online and loved it. She does these large (some look up to 18") concentric rings that end up looking almost like growth rings in a tree. The rings are so fine and close together, but when I try to get this effect my rings start breaking up. I know I'm not using the best paint, just craft acrylics, so do you think that is my only problem? or do you think she's using Suminagashi Ink? I'd love some advice from experienced marblers before I go out and spend any more on supplies :)

      Also just out of curiosity, in a lot of the videos I've watched people have a clear bath. Mine is very muddy looking even before I use it. I use carageenan, and it seems to be working fine, it would be nice though to be able to see the colors better though before putting it on paper. Or maybe it would just kill some of the adventure in the process! Who knows :)

      Thanks,

      Kelly
    • Show all 3 messages in this topic