7026Re: [Marbling] Applying Alum

    Mar 25, 2013
      Sounds like a buffered paper problem to me! What paper are you using? Try "unbuffered bond" from www.talasonline.com

      Most paper doesn't work anymore!

      Iris Nevins

      On 03/25/13, KimH<kahether@...> wrote:

      I am a newbie who is getting much better at marbling. I am having a slight issue with the paint not staying on the paper. I think it is either the (alum-ed) paper was not completely dry (the paint washed off) or I had small streaks where the alum didn't get (small streaks of paint came of completely on the edges). I have a couple of questions. I used a flat sponge to put the alum on in overlapping strokes from left to right. Do I just need to be more careful when covering the paper, or would a mister work better than a sponge? Would that help for those edges I sometimes miss? How about sitting time for the alum-ed paper? I put it between boards and let it sit for about a half-hour or more. Should I take the paper out at some point and let it completely dry, or should the half hour under the boards be adequate?

      I should note that most of my marbling did take, and I was extremely pleased to have a successful go of it this last weekend.