7017Re: Tiger eye

  • Hagen Miller
    Mar 13, 2013
      I had intended to use potash, but already had the other stuff on hand for
      bookbinding, so I figured I'd give it a shot. I don't have a clearly
      defined formula yet -- still tweaking it. The eyes come out beautifully on
      the size but still tend to distort here and there on the print. I'll try
      to get a good picture next time I give it a go.

      Whereas potash can have some caustic properties to it, the K2CO3 is
      strongly alkaline. I couldn't tell you the exact differences, but in
      theory the pure salt doesn't contaminate the carrageenan as much. Using
      this stuff, my eyes don't come out very large. It's a fine field of small
      ones, the largest ones being about the size of a nickel, maybe a few that
      are a tiny bit larger.