6844Re: methyl cellulose

  • Aaron Salik
    Sep 20, 2012
      Hi Kathryn,

      After the recent exchange of messages on the list, one member Sue Cole was
      nice enough to volunteer her time to evaluate and come up with instructions
      for our methyl cellulose.

      As mentioned before, instructions are nothing more than a starting point,
      as people have great preferences for how they like their materials
      prepared. This is what Sue provided in her findings:

      Company

      Name

      CAS#

      Price per 1#

      Concentration + Ammonia?

      Talas

      Culminal MC

      9004-67-5

      $14.50

      6 Tbsp/ gallon water no

      Roger George Rentals

      Hydroxypropyl MC

      9004-65-3

      $15.00

      6 Tbsp/ gallon water no

      Dharma Trading

      Hydroxypropyl MC

      9004-65-3

      $22.50

      4 Tbsp/ gallon water yes

      Pro Chem

      Hydroxypropyl MC

      9004-65-3

      $24.50

      4 Tbsp/ gallon water yes

      Earth Guild

      unknown

      unknown

      $25.40

      4 Tbsp/ gallon water yes

      I had good success with the Talas MC, but you DO need to let it set for
      awhile to thicken. It does not need ammonia or vinegar. I used very hot
      water and a stick blender to blend it, then reblended it every so often
      over an hour, then let it sit overnight to clear and thicken. You may not
      need to let it sit that long, but that�s what I did. You could also use a
      whisk, but the stick blender or drill blender for larger amounts is
      easier. If you blend it too long, you will get foam, but it will settle
      down.

      I just left the gallon jars in my sink or counter, and came back every so
      often to stir them. I do this with all of them, because if you don�t, I
      have had the excess mc settle to the bottom of the container and make a
      thick clump.

      I mixed it in three different thicknesses. 4 tablespoons per gallon made a
      thinner gel, 8 tablespoons made a thicker gel, so 6 tablespoons was about
      right for marbling the scarves.

      I used both and got more distinct lines on paper with the thicker one.
      Then I also mixed some as 1 tablespoon per cup to get a thick gel to use
      for paste paper. My scanner is not hooked up right now or I would attach
      photos. I was happy with the papers I made with the Talas and later used
      it for the scarves as well.

      I also use the mc in the thick mixture to add to my �recipe glue� for
      bookbinding purposes.

      I mostly use methyl cellulose for the silk scarves because the carageenan
      breaks down too quickly in the Summer heat here. I do most of them outside
      in a screen tent, then move the tank inside to my second bedroom for the
      Winter.

      I got the chemical names and numbers from the MSDS sheets. I was no t able
      to find on e for EarthGuild.

      The MC�s with the ammonia and vinegar have the advantage of thickening
      immediately � within 15 minutes � but if you are not in a hurry, the other
      ones work fine.

      I have used all of them at different times. All of them have different
      �secret� proprietary ingredients which is why some with the same chemical
      name need ammonia and some don�t.

      Roger George is a movie effects company which I found accidentally, and
      they use the mc to make slime for horror movies, so that if the actors get
      it in their mouths, there is no taste or smell. The person I talked to
      agreed to put 3 pounds in double plastic bags and it fit exactly into a
      flat rate box because I told her I didn�t need the jars and that saved on
      shipping.

      Also, I have not determined whether one is cheaper than the other to use,
      because even though they are priced per pound, they have different degrees
      of density per brand, same with the carageenan, so I would have to measure
      out the tablespoons per pound to determine that, which I have not done yet.

      --
      Regards,
      Aaron Salik

      Talas