6764Re: methyl cellulose

  • jemiljan
    Aug 16, 2012
      Hi Aaron,

      I've used your methyl cellulose for other bookbinding applications, but I think it's too grainy to be used for marbling. Do you know if it's hydroxypropyl methylcellulose (HPMC), or another form of Methyl cellulose? Most marblers use a very fine, surface-treated form of methyl cell that can be dispersed in cold water, such as the Dow Methocel J75MSN, which is activated with an alkali such as clear ammonia and then neutralized with white vinegar to bring the Ph down to neutral. Vann Waters & Rogers makes another variation that is sold by Daniel Smith for their papermaking, but I don't think it works anywhere nearly as well as the Dow Methocel J75MSN. I think that is what Dharma Trading Sells. The "Methyl Cellulose" sold by EarthGuild seems to me to be one of the Dow product, and the consistency is very different from what Talas sells. They don't say, but I suspect that it may be Dow A4M or E4M Methocel.

      Also Sue, I think that the "HEC" you are using must be Hydroxy Ethylcellulose, which would be a product like Tylose.

      http://www.setylose.de/wEnglish/produkte/hydroxyethyl/index.php

      Have you compared this to the Dow brand I mentioned?

      Best,

      Jake Benson