6679Re: [Marbling] Re: Beginner questions

    Jun 2, 2012
      Well just to confuse the issue, LOL, but really just to show that there are many "right ways"...

      I never wash with synthrapol (and have used their scarves) because when I first did this it either didn't exist or I didn't know about it. It all worked fine. I use warm water to alum, and I believe the process of swooshing them in a bucket of alum water may just wash out any sizing if present. I use about 1 TBS alum to about three cups water for fabric by the way. Less than some, more than others.

      I like to use the cheap Folk Art or Ceram Coat acrylics. Keep in mind not all the colors work all the time, and this is true of most paints if used for marbling. The price is right at about 88 cents a bottle.

      Never wash tools with soap. Found out the hard way. All you need is to do it ONCE. then you never do it again!

      I do not heat set in the dryer either, they need ironing after to get wrinkles out and that seems to be enough heat.

      Sign me, Queen Of The Shortcut. If I don't have to do it I don't!

      Iris Nevins
      www.marblingpaper.com

      On 06/02/12, Barb<blskoog@...> wrote:

      Welcome to the wonderful world of marbling!

      First off, you have a fantastic reference book, one of my favorites! Secondly, there are as many different ways to marble and marbling preferences as there are marblers so I always advise people to just jump in and tweak along the way. What works for one marbler and his/her particular environment, may not work for another. That being said, I'll answer your questions based on how I marble on fabric.

      1) I wash everything in Synthrapol before I marble it. I don't use my regular laundry detergent (which is eco-friendly, not Tide or anything like that) as I'm not confident that it removes size the way it should. So to eliminate any worries and give me peace of mind, I use Synthrapol. A little goes a long way and it's cheap.

      3)I use both Golden Fluid and Liquitex soft body paints. Love 'em. They never fail me. Paints are a very personal choice for the marbler and you will get lots of feedback on this one. Experiment and find out what you like best.

      4) I use Photo-flo if I'm having a problem with paints not spreading...but that's a rare issue for me (perhaps because I'm using the high-quality artist brand paints?). I usually use Photo-flo more for artistic effect. I've never tried Versatex so I can't comment on its performance. Some folks use Golden's acrylic flow release when using Golden's paints to help them spread. Again, I never have to.

      5) Your bath, paints, and distilled water should ALWAYS be the same temp. I never store my bath in the fridge because I either make just enough for my needs or I use it up before it goes bad. But I marble every day...if you're just a weekend marbler and want to save your bath from one weekend to the next, putting it in the fridge may give you some extended shelf life. I'm sure there are marblers out there with a better working knowledge about this.

      6) Your trays, tools, etc. should just be rinsed/cleaned in regular water, no soap. Ever.

      Best of luck in your adventure...and most importantly, have lots of fun doing this with your daughter!

      Cheers,
      Barb Skoog
      www.BarbSkoog.com