6630Re: Thickener

  • jemiljan
    Apr 16, 2012
      HI Joan,

      Depending on the method of marbling that you are attempting, sodium alginate may suit your purposes. Some people I know have used it as a size for marbling with oil colors. If you're using acrylics, you can use hydroxypropyl methyl cellulose (HPMC) as well. Galen is right that it will not produce as fine a line as carrageenan size, but you have to ask yourself what your needs and goals are.

      Personally, I've found that a 1:1 mix of Dow "J" grade cold-water dispersible "Methocel" HPMC and carageenan works well with acrylics, and probably a bit better than carrageenan alone, as as I find that acrylics degrade a pure carrageenan size more quickly than traditional European marbling paints made with pigments, water, and a gum binder. Last I knew, the cold water dispersible "J" grade was sold by Earth Guild in Asheville <www.earthguild.com/>, but you might check with them to see if that's still the case. It's a far higher quality product than the product sold by Daniel Smith, which is produced by Van Waters & Rogers. Just remember that what is sold as "Methyl Cellulose" is not the same! I posted about this in the past (search the archives), but there is also a lot of new, freely available information posted on Dow's website.

      Best Regards,

      Jake Benson

      --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, "Joan" <rfnewman1@...> wrote:

      > Is Sodium Alginate the same thing as Carrageenan? Dharma Trading sells both.The Sodium alginate (sea weed) is so much cheaper.

    • Show all 3 messages in this topic