6136Re: [Marbling] question re: marbling on silk

    Sep 9, 2011
      I'm the wrong one to ask about methyl-cel Deb. Hate it. Compared to Carrageenan that is. Sure it lasts longer, but you can make just enough of the carrageenan you need for the day, or even in most weather hold it over another day or two and add some fresh to top it off. I can't stand also looking at dirty used size first thing in the AM and love a clean fresh batch. I find carrageenan much easier to manage, and definitely better for watercolor. I don't use acrylic much, only for fabric now and again. Never on paper, watercolor lets you make more patterns like the French Shell, the 3-d effect you get with it etc.

      I have been marbling over 33 years, which means no one was around to teach me back then, not that I knew of anyway. So I played with everything til it worked or didn't. The Ceram Coat was so cooperative, and the Folk Art I tried later and it worked. Still, keep in mind not all the colors or batches of it work well. Best to find a few primary colors that work and mix. If they work, buy up all you can of that lot #. At 88 cents a bottle why not. You may need to thicken the size a little and try again if too thin. You can always water it down. If colors are pale you can condense them into near veins with a few drops of Photo-flo mixed with water, then draw the pattern. It lets some of the fabric color show through too for a nice contrast. No problem with pale colors. I don't heat set them purposely, but they do need ironing after marbling so they do get heat set. I don't pre-wash silks either, never have, the alum rinse in the bucket likely takes out whatever if anything is there. No one told me how to marble, for watercolor or acrylic, and I like to simplify and use cheap stuff if it works, even if it has no glamor appeal associated with it. Sometimes people make it too complicated. Marbling is temperamental for sure, but try the easiest ways first, they may just work. I have been told I marble wrong more than a few times, but if so, why does it work. And with the world's likeliest hardest water as well. Doesn't work any better with soft rainwater or distilled or whatever, you just need a teeny bit more size powder with the hard water to get the same viscosity. I measure nothing, just do it by feel, If it works one day, remember how it felt. Taking notes is next to useless, because if the weather is different another day it will change everything, so go by feel. My next article for the Guild Of Bookworkers Journal is on the rainwater (collected during Irene, with the power out!) vs. my hard tap water. I liked the tap water better. In case any of you get that. If not, I am not sure if it is on their site, back articles. It's all stuff we have covered here over the years though.

      From: Deluwiel Xox<mailto:deluwiel1209@...>
      To: Marbling@yahoogroups.com<mailto:Marbling@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Friday, September 09, 2011 10:01 AM
      Subject: Re: [Marbling] question re: marbling on silk

      Iris - I started with Jacquard airbrush paints and was getting kind of washed out colors. I had researched marbling on silk and found so many recommendations to use Golden acrylics for brighter, more vibrant color and that's what I went with. I wonder now, after a lot more trial and error, if my size was too thin and the colors were spreading too much. Anyway, I had no clue you could use plain old craft paint! You don't have to heat set those in any way to keep color intact? I seem to remember that you mentioned that you use carageen size - have you found that the acrylics perform differently or better on that than methocel? I had started with carageen and had the problems with the pale colors, but now that I have a much better feel for what the consistency should be do you think there's a clear advantage to switching back?

      Deb