6135Re: [Marbling] question re: marbling on silk

  • Deluwiel Xox
    Sep 9, 2011
      Iris - I started with Jacquard airbrush paints and was getting kind of washed out colors.  I had researched marbling on silk and found so many recommendations to use Golden acrylics for brighter, more vibrant color and that's what I went with.  I wonder now, after a lot more trial and error, if my size was too thin and the colors were spreading too much.  Anyway, I had no clue you could use plain old craft paint!  You don't have to heat set those in any way to keep color intact?  I seem to remember that you mentioned that you use carageen size - have you found that the acrylics perform differently or better on that than methocel?  I had started with carageen and had the problems with the pale colors, but now that I have a much better feel for what the consistency should be do you think there's a clear advantage to switching back?

      From: irisnevins <irisnevins@...>
      To: Marbling@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Wednesday, September 7, 2011 7:30 AM
      Subject: Re: [Marbling] question re: marbling on silk

      I also rinse in a bucket of cold water gently swishing the fabric around. Anything rough can scuff the surface design. Hang up without wringing out. I put plastic trays under them to catch the water. Next day when dry, I iron them flat to package them. They are a little crisper than originally before marbling, but pretty nice and soft. It's sort of a very lightly starched feeling, very light. I do not use Goldens though, but rather, the cheap "junk" so called, from A.C.Moore, Michael's Walmart etc. Either Folk Art or Ceram Coat. They leave things soft. You may want to dilute that paint just slightly but not much....sometimes it's a little thick in acrylic paste, and as with all commercial paints, you have to test them before you marble. Sometimes they add more dispersant to one batch of a color than the last batch, so there are inconsistencies. If you fins a batch you like, take down the lot number and go buy as many as you can. For about a dollar or so
      a bottle, why not. I use a basic red, yellow, blue, black, white. I mix from there. The fewer bottles you start with, the better you can trace problems back to one.