5984Re: [Marbling] Re: marbling with oil

    Feb 14, 2011
      Has anyone gotten onto the fact that best quality inkjet paper, you can marble (please test for the coated side!) with NO ALUM! Great if you marble 8 1/2 X 11 or up to 17 X 13 or some such size,.... that's generally available in Staples. You can go up to 18 X 24, I think Epson and HP make them....not cheap per sheet, maybe $1.00 at that size. I am wary of the weight though, seems kind of thin.The smaller papers are for sure, but not unyeildy when wet. Would that we could skip alum altogether! The small sizes, great for small projects, or kids.
      From: D or Jer Guffey<mailto:dguff@...>
      To: Marbling@yahoogroups.com<mailto:Marbling@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Monday, February 14, 2011 4:49 PM
      Subject: Re: [Marbling] Re: marbling with oil

      The only advantage of marbling with oil paints is that you don't have to alum (either fabric or paper). But the disadvantages are greater. Oil paint is messy, and has to be thinned with paint thinner or turpentine to make it the right consistency. Also, oil paints permeate the paper (goes through to the back side) whereas paper which has been treated with alum for acrylic paints (or marbling inks) lets the color sit on top (pigments bind with the alum to make a chemical bond). You cannot get as fine a line and detail with oil paints as you can with acrylics. I gave up oil paint marbling when I discovered acrylics. Cleaner, not so toxic, and much easier to clean up.

      As for finishing the fabric after oil paint, all you do is rinse, line dry, and then iron. No need to do additional heat setting, as the oil paint is thoroughly ingrained in the fabric.

      Hope this helps.