      From: marines bengoa <mbengoaduprey@...>
      Subject: Re: [Marbling] marbling on silk
      To: Marbling@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Thursday, February 10, 2011, 6:15 PM

      I always get white scarves from Dharma; 100% silk, very good quality and good

      price if bought by the dozen. I use habotai, chiffon and crepe. I never wash

      scarves. But the fact that I dye scarves with acid dyes first may help to get

      rid of size if any. I do this instead of buying colored ones because I get

      the shades I really I want but scarves should be rinsed until water runs clear.

      I use Marbo gum for my size from Prochem which is less expensive than

      carrageenan and eco friendly: 2 tablespoons per gallon of tap water, mix it in

      the blender and let it set overnight. Sometimes I add about 4 cups of water and

      remix the size before I start marbling if the size feels a bit thick. I use a

      squegee for mixing, let it set for a few minutes and then get rid of bubbles if

      any. It works beautifully. This I do for a 4 gallons size.

      I soak scarves  for about 10 minutes in  a solution of 4 tablespoons of alum per

      gallon of tap water. I hang scarves soaking wet to dry  outside. They dry

      in about 1/2 an hour. I iron scarves and then begin my marbling.  I found that

      the order used to add colors has a lot to do with how colors behave in the size.

      Thickness is very important also. But some colors have a mind of their own!

      After rinsing and drying I iron scarves to set the paint and cure for two days.

      Then I fill the washing machine with hot water and add 1/4 cup of milsoft

      (Dharma) for ten minutes, rinse in warm water and I'm done.

      I hope this helps!!!

      ________________________________

      From: Sue Cole <akartisan@...<mailto:akartisan@...>>

      Subject: [Marbling] marbling on silk

      To: Marbling@yahoogroups.com<mailto:Marbling@yahoogroups.com>

      Date: Wednesday, February 9, 2011, 1:55 PM

      you didn't say, so I'll ask just in case. You need to wash the scarves

      first with synthrapol, then soak them in an alum solution, then hang to dry

      and iron them to get the best colors. Peggy Skycraft and Mimi Schleicher

      both sell good dvd's explaining the process. Peggy's is sold through

      www.dharmatrading.com<http://www.dharmatrading.com/> and Mimi's is through her

      site direct. You can also

      look through the archives for things that have been discussed on this.

      Sue