      From: irisnevins <irisnevins@...>
      To: Marbling@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Thu, February 10, 2011 6:39:35 PM
      Subject: Re: [Marbling] marbling on silk

      I must marble all wrong, LOL. Not saying to not pre-wash if you want... and I
      suppose it may very well depend on the maker and what they size the fabric with,
      but having never yet learned to marble properly (as in self taught, and actually
      way less meticulous than others), in spite of marbling for 33 years with good
      results, I have never washed the scarves. I did at times advise to wash, to err
      on the safe side after hearing people say they need to, or have written about
      washing them because it's what people seem to want to do, and I also never
      experimented with many different types of fabric. So I certainly cannot speak
      for all fabrics. Better to be safe.

      I got the silks from Exotic silks mainly but also Rupert Gibbon and Spyder I
      believe, and I think one time from Dharma, both colored and white (though have
      not done it in a few years so maybe things are different). What I did though,
      was soak them briefly in a weak warm alum solution, swish them around for a
      minute basically... which I think also at the same time got rid of any sizing
      that might prevent colors from adhering. I then hung them to dry overnight, then
      ironed them so they would lay flat on the size. I have also done this with
      synthetic silk... which has always marbled beautifully. I often got
      remnants....the bridesmaid's gown materials, very cheaply.

      To be honest, I have a bit of a lazy streak and always want to find the most
      efficient way to get things done. So when I first marbled fabric, it never
      occurred to me to pre-wash at all, then I later heard people did that. It has
      always worked in spite of not washing, and as I mentioned I think the warm
      swishing in a bucket of alum water may have done enough removal of whatever.
      Other things that you could actually SEE came out too, like excess dye. I always
      swished the magenta ones last for this reason, the alum water in the bucket was
      left pink.

      Also, I learned to skip yet another step of heat setting in the dryer, THEN
      ironing. My efficiency expert/lazy part questioned why wouldn't just the ironing
      take care of any heat setting, while flattening them at the same time. It did.

      Never had a problem working this way....just sayin'! Just for fun, it could be
      interesting on your next batch of fabric, to leave one piece unwashed and just
      swish in the warm alum bucket, and see if it makes a difference. It may well,
      depending on the fabric, but you may be surprised too if it works. If anyone
      wants to experiment and post back... would be interesting.

      Sign me,
      Queen Of The Shortcut

      From: Sue Cole <akartisan@...<mailto:akartisan@...>>
      Subject: [Marbling] marbling on silk
      To: Marbling@yahoogroups.com<mailto:Marbling@yahoogroups.com>
      Date: Wednesday, February 9, 2011, 1:55 PM

      you didn't say, so I'll ask just in case. You need to wash the scarves

      first with synthrapol, then soak them in an alum solution, then hang to dry

      and iron them to get the best colors. Peggy Skycraft and Mimi Schleicher

      both sell good dvd's explaining the process. Peggy's is sold through

      www.dharmatrading.com<http://www.dharmatrading.com/> and Mimi's is through her
      site direct. You can also

      look through the archives for things that have been discussed on this.