5715Re: Digest Number 1822

  • G
    Jun 1, 2010
      I have been marbling on my woodturnings for some time. I have seen Mary's technique and use a similar method. I first dampen the wood to raise the grain and then sand off the raised grain. I then typically treat with alum solution, let it dry and then marble it with acrylic paint over methocel or carag. No problems with the paint sticking. If I want a backround color, I raise the grain and sand but then cover the surgace with acrylic paint. The same paint I will be using to marble. After this dries I may sand a little to remove any raised grain but then I apply the alum, let it dry and marble. What ever you are using for a sealer must not be compatible with acrylic paint. If you must seal change the sealer type. We have many people marbling turnings with no problems and Mary's article is the basis for all the work being done. You may try a clear acrylic to seal if you must.

      --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, Del & Mary Stubbs <mdstubbs@...> wrote:

      > Hi Joe - Mary here...yes, we have been corresponding a bit re.
      > marbling on wood, and thought I would reply here so others may learn
      > and put in their thoughts as well.
      >
      > I still think the primer/sealer is your problem. The borax and water
      > thing, I have never done, don't know anything about that....but I
      > would stick with methyl cellulose or carageenan. I don't think your
      > problem lies in either of those (methyl or carag.). I still think
      > it's the sealer.
      >
      > What type of primer/sealers have you used?
      >
      > Also- regarding your feeling that the wood needs to be sealed prior
      > to aluming and marbling....I do question this. If what you are
      > marbling is a solid piece of wood...it usually can withstand the
      > marbling process without problems. Most folks feel that wood can
      > never get wet and must be protected under all circumstances ...being
      > a woodworker for over 30 years...I find this doesn't hold true in all
      > circumstances. If there are water based laminations - that would be
      > a problem. If any warping at all is a concern, that would also be a
      > problem...but depending on how the wood was cut, it's thickness, the
      > type of wood, if the piece has already been dried properly - the
      > piece may be able to withstand getting wet without a problem, or
      > changing the integrity of the piece.
      >
      > Also - There is a difference between primer and sealer. If you must
      > use a primer or sealer prior to aluming, I would lean toward using a
      > sealer and not a primer. And one coat. and it could be that there
      > are some brands that work better than others. I never seal the wood,
      > as it's just one more thing to cause problems...but the pieces I
      > marble, it doesn't matter if they get wet. If you do use a sealer,
      > you might want to try very lightly sanding it after it is dry, if the
      > sealer raises the grain. But then again - some sealers may work
      > better than others. I know Marina has used sealers
      > successfully....are you there, Marina?....anyone know about that?
      >
      > Mary
      >

      > On May302010, at 5:21 AM, Marbling@yahoogroups.com wrote:
      >
      > > There are 6 messages in this issue.
      > >
      > > Topics in this digest:

> [...]