      From: pod227 <pod227@...>
      To: Marbling@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Wed, May 19, 2010 3:59:47 PM
      Subject: [Marbling] Introdution and question

      Hi, I'm Silvia, from Italy, and I'm a marbling absolute newbie :)

      I've done fabric dyeing before, and now I'd like to marble fabric to use in my quilts, so the last week I ordered some methylcellulose and alum to the chemist (May be this sounds strange to you but if I want chemicals I've to go to my chemist... she's very nice and don't do questions :p)

      today the MC arrived so I've made my first size.
      It came out like syrup, I think it's ok. I've put a little amout of it in a glass to do some color try and I'm amazed about the first little result on paper *_*

      But now I've a couple of questions:

      1) I've read that oxgall helps the colour float on the size... I've not the oxgall but I've a "watercolor medium" that's used to make watercolors more adesive on paper and blend togheter better. In your opinion can I use this medium instead the oxgall?

      2) Also if colors float well, sometimes there are drops that sinks. Have I to leave them there or there is a way to get rid of them?
      I've also read about a technique that bring the sinked drops again on size surface, to do some more marbling with them, but I haven't found more istructions about this. Can you explain me this technique?

      Thank you very much

      Silvia