5632Re: 1885 Book Marbling

  • jan
    Feb 1, 2010
      HI + Thanks so much Dave.
      Enjoying this group, great to share info. I hope to put some pics up when I get a chance. Today I was working with Suminagashi inks on very fine tissue weight Mulberry paper.
      Another world....I get transported!

      thanks also for the offer on carragheenan
      costs me $55 AUD for 500g here
      do you sell it cheaper?

      cheers
      Jan

      --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, Dave Allen <canadian_bookbinder@...> wrote:

      > Hi Jan,
      > As Antonio wrote to you, Richard Norman's pdf is about as good as it
      > gets. Don't worry about making the carrageenan from moss though.
      > everyone uses the powdered stuff now days. I can sell you some if you
      > can't find a local source.
      > Dave
      >
      > jan wrote:
      > > Hi Dave,
      > > Thanks for the link. Its a fascinating technique on the cover, one I haven't seen before.
      > > Can you tell me more about how the edges of the book are marbled or perhaps a good link on this?.
      > >
      > > Jan Marinos
      > >
      > > --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, Dave Allen <canadian_bookbinder@> wrote:
      > >
      > >> Hi Del,
      > >> Those covers are not marbling but an acid process known as tree calf.
      > >> see http://cool.conservation-us.org/don/dt/dt3574.html
      > >> Dave Allen

      > >> --
      > >> Beddall Bookbinding Conservation & Restoration
      > >> 840 Snowdrop Ave. Victoria BC V8Z 2N4
      > >> (250)888-9380 http://www.Bookbinder.ca
      > >>

      > --
      > Beddall Bookbinding Conservation & Restoration
      > 840 Snowdrop Ave. Victoria BC V8Z 2N4
      > (250)888-9380 http://www.Bookbinder.ca

    • Show all 10 messages in this topic