      From: Jake Benson
      To: Marbling@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Tuesday, April 14, 2009 6:22 AM
      Subject: [Marbling] Re: Hello.

      HI Iris,

      I think that Doizy & Ipert wrote about the discovery of a scroll or book decorated a kind of pulp-marbling technique, not a floating color method that we consider "marbling" today. My copy of their book is packed, so I will have to check later, (unless someone else has it at hand and can provide the answer). If I recall correctly, Stephane learned of it when he went to China.

      Richard Wolfe doesn't mention it, nor does Dr. Tsien in his extensive book on Chinese paper, though he does mention in passing on page 77 that one of the 10 kinds of colored papers made in Sichuan in the T'ang dynasty was called "light clouds", citing a 14th c Yüan dynasty text entitled Chien Chih Phu (also entitled Shu Chien Phu) but he does not provide the actual characters for the name, nor the process. He makes no other mention of this technique.

      This kind of decorative paper features a pattern made by pouring a colored pulp fiber over a natural one, and shaking it carefully, resulting in a kind of "flocked" (is that the best adjective?) pulp paper. In Japan, this is called 雲紙 "kumogami" (the characters would be pronounced "yun zhi" in Chinese). It is also called uchigumori 打曇 in Japan.

      Here is one image from Japan:

      http://image.www.rakuten.co.jp/kaiseidou/img10353767798.jpeg

      A tanzaku panel made from this kind of paper:

      http://www.kakimori.jp/images/img_collections_052.jpg

      A leaf from a Kamakura period scroll (the thumbnail is at the bottom, click on it, and then click on twice more to see the enlarged image)

      http://bunka.nii.ac.jp/SearchDetail.do?heritageId=38251

      An article about it in Jaanus online:

      http://www.aisf.or.jp/~jaanus/deta/u/uchigumori.htm

      As an aside, a few years ago, I described a manuscript in Spencer Collection in the NY Public Library that features a cover made from sheet of paper decorated with both kumogami and suminagashi. It is a very interesting piece to look at. Here's my original message about it:

      Jake Benson