5066Re: Making our own base papers

  • athena_2547
    Mar 3, 2009
      Hello everyone,
      I just created a album in the photo section called marbling on handmade papers, feel free
      to add your photos. I also came across an article in handpapermaking from the summer of
      2003 by Tom Leech called "An Invitation to Marble". Many have played around with
      marbling from the bookarts and hmp communities and said similar things about marbling
      that this group is saying about making their own papers. I only drop my "precious" papers
      onto a vat when I'm sure about the image created, I still produce 4 duds out of every 10
      sheets. Since I can charge fine art prices, this becomes part of my process, and the duds
      get overmarbled or have other lives as scrap or recycled paper.

      I am in my twenties and having "paper dreams" trying to start a cooperative studio for
      paper and marbling here in Boston. I know it's a long shot but the last seven years of my
      life Ive been developing this method of working. I know it would not be cost effective on
      the scale I previously practiced. However this studio has all the equipment a papermaker
      could hope for, and is a dedicated space for marbling so no more nomadic marbling.

      ~Melinda Cross
    • Show all 20 messages in this topic