5050Re: [Marbling] Making our own base papers

  • John Goode
    Mar 2, 2009
      Hi Iris and all.
      Iris I encourage you to at least try to make paper a few times and marble
      the sheets.
      The work would be full circle at that point.The next level.
      Is there anyone that makes paper that you could contract to make yours for
      you?
      I know when I made some hand made paper and marbled it .People were much
      more interested, it became double fine art .Same with marbled fabric, If I
      marbled the fabric and had clothing sewn from it. It steps into another
      dimension.
      I remember talking to Dexter Ing on the phone, twenty years ago when he
      convinced me" people will never see the marbling on a T shirt because it was
      on a T shirt they would just see a T shirt."
      So when I tried ceramics I found the same thing, if marbling on a factory
      dust pressed tile then that is what it is.
      If marbling on a handmade tile, it becomes rare, more artistic so does the
      wall that matches it etc.
      When I learned to make tile from scratch it became a 10 year process.When I
      needed a porcelain that was not produced I made my own, same with all my
      ingredients, full circle, real fine art.
      I know we all have to paint on corporate made crap but there is another
      way!
      PLEASE try it once. Show people the work believe me you will be self
      satisfied and others will feel it and pay more for it.
      Could some one post the directions for making paper by hand that will stand
      up to marbling here?
      There must be some here that make their own. I plan to spend some time doing
      this soon.
      Thanks for listening!
      Peace thru Ebru
      John Goode